thirteen

Eve's POV

"Let me get this straight, you guys basically have a strictly physical relationship... And he's like, a single father, a CEO of a massive company, extremely rich and he's 8 years older than you... Did you honestly just tell me that?"

"I honestly did" I giggled, a tea towel clutched in my hand as I waited for Zayn to finish washing the new batch of dirty plates.

"Jesus, Eve, you've got it good" Zayn confessed, his hands swirling around in the sink of dirty water, plates and dishes clanging together as he washed them. "I wish I was in one of those" he pouted, handing me a freshly washed plate.

"What are you talking about Zayn? You basically are, except it's more than physical because you're in love with the girl... But I guess there is less kids and business and money involved" I winked slyly at him, and he returned my sarcasm with a flick of his fingers, a few droplets of water splattering onto my face. I scrunched up my nose, a drop of water narrowly missing my eye as it rolled down my temple, and Zayn only laughed at my reaction.

Zayn was my first friend that I made here at my second job, working at an Italian restaurant and bar in the middle of the city called Bella's. Zayn and I were both completely shocked when we got the call, telling us we had both gotten a job after surpassing the 70 other applicants who also applied.

We worked on dishes for the first 4 months, it was easy, but boring, and Zayn and I managed to become extremely close throughout the process. We told each other everything, and even though we had never even met before we both applied for the job, it kind of felt like we already knew each other, just by the way we got on so well and meshed together perfectly.

For the next 2 months, we sometimes got to help out in the kitchen, if we were really lucky or if they were short of staff. We got to cut up vegetables and help with the food prep for the dinner service, Zayn always getting an earful from our boss, Scott, whenever he screwed something up, which was most likely every shift.

Once Scott was convinced that Zayn and I were the real deal, he trained us up on waiting the dining room, taking orders, customer service and for me, working the drinks at the bar, even though I was underage. It was scary at first, Zayn nearly stuffing up every order on his first real shift, but we both got the hang of it sooner or later. It was great working with Zayn, he was such a laugh and great guy.

It was also really easy to talk to him since he didn't know me. He didn't know what I was like, how I acted, he didn't know my friends, so it felt refreshing being able to share my problems with him and for him not to judge me. He was a great listener, and he was fantastic at giving advice, and it was just nice to have him around, even though we only hung out while we were at the restaurant and never hung out outside of work.

"But, I'm kind of confused" I started, hoisting myself up to sit on the counter to relieve the pain in my lower back from all the standing. "Like, he keeps going out of his way to tell me that what we have is nothing but physical. It kind of hurts, you know? Like after we do something, he tells me it's all nothing and, well, yeah" I finished, trailing off.

Zayn's hands stopped moving under the water, his brows furrowing as if he were deep in thought. "Maybe he's just reminding you?"

"I guess so" I said, shrugging my shoulders in bewilderment, my hands moving to dry the new stack of clean plates waiting by the sink. I have to admit, it did hurt after I touched Harry yesterday and he told me to get off him and acted as if nothing ever happened. He's told me before that what we have is only physical, so why does he have to keep rubbing it in my face? I know that it will never be anything more.

"Or maybe he's reminding himself" Zayn added, cocking a suggestive eyebrow at me.

"I don't know. I touched him for the first time yesterday and as soon as we finished, he practically told me to leave. I just don't really get why he has to keep telling me, it's not like I don't know already" I sighed.