twenty two

Eve's POV

Alice was sprawled out on the floor, humming as she fanned out her movie options in front of her. She was very indecisive, just like her father, and had been sitting there choosing for a good 10 minutes.

"Al, if you don't choose quickly you won't be able to watch anything. We need to put it on before your Dad gets home and he'll be here any minute" I argued, rising from the couch and planting my feet against the floor. Alice didn't respond, instead growling at my words and hunching over her options further, in hopes that it would help her decide.

"Monsters Inc, or Finding Nemo?" she asked, holding up the DVDs for me to see. I shrugged my shoulders, feeling exhausted and wanting her to just hurry up and pick.

"It's your decision, Sugar" I breathed, flopping back down onto the couch. I heard her whine during her decision making process, finally choosing one as she hurried to the TV to insert the disc. She ran to the side of the couch, using all her strength to push the large footrest in front of the couch, before standing in my way of the TV once she was done.

"Can you sit up please? I want to sit with you" she whispered, batting her long eyelashes and smiling so that her dimples popped into her soft cheeks. I couldn't resist the way she looked, getting up in an instant and stretching my legs out to the footrest. Alice climbed in between my legs, pressing her back to my chest as she snuggled in against me.

A few minutes into the movie, a key rattled inside the lock of the front door. Harry strode into the house, toeing off his shoes and dumping his duffel bag onto the floor. He stuck his hands in his pockets once he took of his coat, walking towards us and turning to the TV.

"Really Alice? You watched this 2 days ago" Harry grumbled.

"Shhhh!" Alice hushed at her father. Harry rolled his eyes and shook his head at her, an amused smile quirking at his lips. He took a few steps towards us, ducking his head down to kiss Alice on the head, his eyes gazing into mine during the process.

I felt like all the oxygen had been knocked out of my lungs, the close proximity between us causing the temperature in the air to rise. His face was so close to mine, our noses almost touching as he let his lips linger on his daughter's hair for a few seconds, exhaling softly through his nose so the warm current of air washed over my face. I gulped roughly at the warmth, willing myself not to let my eyes drift shut and enjoy the feeling whilst he was watching me so closely.

He pulled away, returning to his normal height as he towered over both of us, parting his lips to speak.

"Have you started dinner?" he asked, smiling down at me. I frowned at his question, I only ever made dinner if I planned on staying till late, and to be completely honest, I was looking forward to just sitting here and watching the movie with Al, then going straight home after.

"I'm not staying" I confirmed, and his face fell at my words.

"Oh," he just managed to say, nodding his head then heading into the kitchen.

I scowled at his response, not at all expecting that that would be his reaction towards me not wanting to stay. It wasn't that I didn't want to stay, it was just I was exhausted from school, and work yesterday, that all I could really think about was curling up in bed and getting to sleep early. I sighed as I brought my hands to rub at my face, untangling myself from Alice and heading into the kitchen.

Harry was standing in the doorway to the fridge, running his fingertip along the tops of the beer bottles lined neatly in the shelf inside the door. He grasped one in his hand, turning around and opening it in one swift motion, not even acknowledging my presence.