CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

"Oh, I was expecting Mariah to be here" Anna spoke as she entered the door, her father sitting with the kids in the living room.

"She was, I sent her home, thought I could spend time with my grandchildren"

Anna smiled at the word, her father had opened his arms to the 4 children as if they were his own blood, exactly as she had.

"Well she did have them last night so she was overdue the break. Shame, she can't have kids of her own" Anna commented.

"She's a good one, not too frightened of your husband or his lot either which is a definate plus" Anna laughed.

"Definately"

"How was last night?" Martin asked his daughter, curiously.

"Well it's the Shelby's, Dad, so it was grand, full of whiskey and alcohol, but surprisingly, there was very little business talk or fighting"

Anna glanced over at her father, recognising that lingering absent look in his eyes.

"Is there something the matter?" Anna asked her father, Martin snapping out of the trance a few seconds later.

"-and don't say it's nothing, Dad" Anna interrupted her father as his mouth opened.

"Your mother would like to come and visit, she reckons it's about time she made amends" Martin admitted, a scoff soon leaving Anna's lips.

"'about time', she says it as if she doesn't remember her words to me over a year ago. She told me I was not her daughter"

"And you told her she was not your mother, you both have an equal part in this, Anna."

"Father, she hates me, she neglected me because I aborted the child that was as a result of rape. She spoke horrible words about my family!"

"She realises that, Anna, and she just wants to talk. So we can all be civil again"

"I have a job, a husband and children to look after. I am not going to waste money and time going to see her."

"She said she would come here"

"And be surrounded by sin, meet a daughter whose last name belongs to a gangster?"

Martin sighed, "follow your own head, you can ignore her request or write back. Either way, she will still come"

"Why do you even care about Mum anyway?" Anna asked her father.

"Anna we were married, and still are married, since 1894, of course I care about her"

"Why now? Of all times, why now?"

"I can't anwser that, sweetheart"

"I'm not going to see her, she had her chance when I was growing up, she threw away that chance when she chose her beliefs over her own daughter. You can visit her, father, and I won't hold it against you, but I won't be going"

Martin pursed his lips and nodded, "alright, sweetheart"

"Right, now come and help me with lunch, will you?"

As Anna chopped up the bread, all she could think about was her mother, her past, how happy they were while she was still young and naive to the horrors of the modern day. She was thankful, the children may not all be her blood, but she loved and cared for them as if they are, and would do anything to give them a normal and happy childhood with happy parents, as they already have, and an education, toys, books. She wanted the life for them she never could have in a home that was so soley based around religion she was restricted to do certain things, and a mother so strict she never really had many friends until she served as a nurse in a war.

She knew, the life she dreamed of wasn't entirely reachable due to the type of job their parents had, and the city they lived in, but she would make their childhood as happy as she could.

So, never would her children have to say, 'you are no longer my mother'.

Later, John entered to see Anna deep in thought, John threw himself on a chair opposite her, taking his peaky cap off and placing it on the table.

"Right, come on, what's wrong with you? Your face is as straight as bloody Arthur's when he hasn't drank"

Anna glanced at her husband, taking a drag of her cigarette before crossing her arms.

"My father came round today, my mothers been in contact, wants to come and see me"

"You said fuckin' no, right?" John asked.

"Of course I fuckin' said no" She replied.

"Good, that woman's a bleeding nightmare" John commented, making Anna laugh and agree.

◇◇◇

Unedited.
I apologise for the lack of updates! I've no pre-written Chapters left and I'm trying to gather ideas (which is why I always ask for them).

Someone feel free to comemnt suggestions or what they want to happen- i really need them!

Hope you enjoyed!