eighteen

it was raining.

a pounding rain, the kind of rain that brushed across the window loudly and tapped on the roof. there was bright, blinding lightning that flashed through the windows and was followed by thunder that shook the house and made harry cringe where he was sleeping.

he was covered in a soft blanket, so soft that all he could do was rub the fabric against his cheek.

and it smelled amazing. a musky, warm scent that he couldn't stop smelling. so he just closed his eyes and breathed it in until he finally recognized it.

he stopped acting like a fool when he realized that he was in a room that wasn't familiar, but it was really dark so he couldn't tell.

where am i?

he jumped and his heart started pounding when he heard a whimper beside him, and it was so quiet that he couldn't place who it was.

at this point, he was starting to freak out because he was in a bed and he didn't know whose it was.

but then there was another round of thunder, a cracking noise that caused harry to cringe and cower beneath the soft blankets.

"make it stop," a whisper sounded, and the voice was so close to his ear and he found himself leaning into it because he knew that voice. that was louis.

"louis?" harry whispered, holding in a sigh of relief when he realized that he was still wearing sweatpants and red shirt.

"i hate thunderstorms," louis grumbled, and he sounded more angry than scared. "they're trying to test my temper."

harry couldn't help but giggle, a quiet giggle that he could barely hear over the loud storm.

"it's not funny," louis muttered, but harry could hear his smile in his voice. "they're scary." and when another boom of thunder echoed into the boys ears, louis was cowering into harry's chest and harry froze.

all harry could do was hold his breath and hope that louis would lay there forever. he hesitantly placed his arms around louis', feeling incredibly awkward because now louis was sleeping, laying his head against his shirt with soft breaths.

well, harry thought he was asleep until louis let out a sigh and then said in a hoarse whisper, "relax."

so he slowly let his tense muscles unclench, until his arms were resting on louis' waist, an louis' head felt heavy on his chest and he couldn't focus on the storm anymore. his eyes fluttered shut right when he heard louis' murmur something, and then he was sleeping.

***

he was so incredibly warm, but not so warm that he was sweating, and his left arm felt like it was tingling. there was an incredibly sweet, perfect scent in his nose.

basically, he woke up feeling comfortable but confused.

so he glanced down at his chest, and almost jumped out of bed when he saw louis' head lolling as harry breathed, and his lips were parted slightly, and his hair was messed up and shaggy and soft. harry stared at his eyelashes, how they rested so delicately against his skin and how they were incredibly long.

the younger boy flickered his eyes to his stomach, where he saw louis' arm was thrown over his hip, his fingers lightly brushing harry's bum in a way that made harry' heart beat rapidly.

and then there was a click, and he realized that louis' door was opening. he hastily pushed himself away from the sleeping boy, who grumbled a bit and yawned before relaxing into the soft bed again.

he pulled his legs to his chest and tried to look natural as niall and zayn walked in.

"what happened here?" zayn finally spoke, rubbing his groggy eyes with his fingers before letting his arms hang at his sides and revealing his morning appearance. his eyes always were dark in the morning, as if he had put lots of mascara on and eyeliner. harry was confused why it was.