twelve

harry woke up to a pleasant, wonderful smell.

no, it wasn't pancakes or frying bacon. it wasn't his freshly changed sheets or a new air freshener.

 it was a musky, yet sweet smell that harry just wanted to breathe in forever. his eyes were closed so he didn't know what it was, but for some reason the beautiful scent caused butterflies to flutter in his stomach.

he couldn't place it until he felt his body shift, and he was suddenly aware of the warmth surrounding him.

he felt his eyelashes flutter, giving him a small glimpse of bright light that pressed harshly against his eyelids.

"harry?"

the voice was sweet and soft as honey, a melody. harry felt his lips turn up in a small smile, a smile that caused the person holding him to laugh.

"harry. open your eyes."

harry hesitantly let himself open his eyes, staring at the ceiling tiles before he saw bright blue.

"louis," he whispered, before looking at his arm and seeing that the older boy was holding his fingers, gently rubbing his thumb over the top of harry's hand. "where am i?"

he could feel the dried tears on his cheeks, the aching of his eyes, and the hollow feeling in his stomach.

louis gave him a sad look, a frown prominent on his worried face.

"oh," harry replied knowingly, nodding his head. he couldn't remember, but the way he felt and the look on louis' face told him that he had one of his episodes.

and then he was blushing, his cheeks burning as he averted his eyes from louis.

"harry? are you okay?"

"yeah, yeah i'm fine," the curly headed boy muttered, lifting himself from louis' arms, and the older lad loosened his hold around him.

"so do you wanna leave school now? i don’t' wanna be in here anymore than i have to."

harry nodded, his eyes widening when louis stood up then reached down to grab his hands. "let's go, curly."

they walked down the hall in silence, except for the sound of the boy’s breaths.

harry finally broke the silence, surprisingly. "louis?"

"yeah?"

"how did you know how to.. uhm.. handle me?"

"i wasn't 'handling' you. i love holding you."

harry turned to look at louis, who was now blushing and biting his lip as if he said to much.

"i just kind of guessed. i felt as if you fell asleep, when you woke up you wouldn't be as upset."

the younger boy nodded, licking his lips as they reached the parking lot.

"zayn took me home, and now he's gone," harry said quietly. he felt a little hurt that zayn didn't even go look for him, but he was gone for about a two hours.

he flinched a bit when louis gently draped his arm around his shoulder. "i'll take you home. don't worry."

they quietly walked to louis' small car, harry trying to recall what happened before he broke down and wondering what louis was thinking.

"the book," he finally whispered to himself, and hoped louis couldn't hear him.

but he must've, because he responded. "it's about me, and..." louis trailed off, opening harry's car door for him, and harry smiled at him sheepishly before climbing into the passenger seat.