Chapter Fifty

Cade shifted into his wolf, and then it was on. I was glad that Lanie and Sam were in their rooms. We could all fight better if we weren't worried about them. Steve was already in wolf form and battling Cade, pushing him far enough out of the doorway that Bishop could take off after the boy who he said had tried to kidnap me. Mark and Ryan were right behind him, always looking for a fight.

I changed into my wolf form and leapt out the door after them. Patricia stayed in the doorway; she didn't want to let anyone in the house but as soon as anyone approached the doorway she leapt on them and forced them away, back out to where the rest of us were.

Some big gray wolf came flying at me. It hit me squarely in the side and I stumbled before regaining my feet and spinning on my haunches to bite it in the scruff of its neck. It yelped in pain and I smiled inside as I clenched my teeth harder. Then with a firm shake of my head, and enough effort that it strained my neck muscles, I flung it away from me.

Of course right behind it there had to be two more wolves. I growled low in my throat and got ready to attack. But just as the first one leapt through the air towards me a blur intercepted it and knocked it to the ground. It was Bishop. He flashed me a glimmer of a smile before slamming his fist into the side of the second wolf.

I raced back into the fight; I couldn't let my packmates, who were outnumbered, fight alone. Thankfully we could tell Roger's pack from the others, if not then it would have been a full out bloodbath, three packs all fighting the others.

I dispatched bites and scratches and kicks as I tried to keep myself safe in the meddle. As I kicked one wolf I felt them bite me deep in my left back leg. I growled in pain and whipped around to sink my teeth into the first part of them I could bite. They yelped in pain as hot blood flowed from their ear, and I smiled my wolfy smile. They had just been paid back. I pulled back and winced internally. I had forgotten to let go, and my teeth ripped through the flesh of their ear as they came out.

I growled and tried to get the coppery taste out of my mouth. It was disgusting. I shook my head and then launched myself at the next enemy. As I kicked off of the ground I felt a stab of pain in my leg. But I couldn't let that control me. I had to keep fighting. We were outnumbered, we had to all keep fighting.

I heard a familiar scream; Patricia. I glanced up and saw Steve's wolf already by her side, Peter and Cole both battling Cade still. I gritted my teeth and turned my attention back to the melee around me. A particularily lithe black wolf stood before me, and she grinned so that her sharp canines were obvious before lunging at me.

I ducked her first open-mouthed attack and managed to spin around before she could come at me again. When she jumped at me this time I stood firm. As she came smashing into me I bit into her neck, holding tightly as she thrashed to try and get a hold of me somewhere. I sunk my teeth even deeper into her neck as she finally got her teeth sunk into my shoulder. I held on to her as tightly as I could, hoping that she would let loose of me before I had to let go of her.

As it ended up, we both let go at the same time. I jumped back and waited for her next attack. For some reason she seemed determined to take me down, instead of just dealing a few blows and then going after somebody else. Well I wasn't about to let that happen. This time I launched the first attack, leaping for her, even with my hurting leg. She sidestepped me quickly and grabbed my tail in her mouth. I yelped in outrage and whipped my head around to bite her back leg.

She let go of my tail and we faced off once more. When she jumped at me again I tried to dodge, but by then my leg felt like it was made out of lead. I gritted my teeth as she bowled into me and knocked me to the ground. Her cold black eyes shone with excitement as she bared her teeth and lunged for my throat.

I closed my eyes; I thought for sure that she would kill me. But then I heard Bishop scream, "Serafina!" and she was knocked off of me. She growled one last time and then ran off. As I looked around, I noticed that all the other wolves were running off too. Had they been defeated, or had they just decided to come back another day? I took my human form back and clambered unsteadily to my feet, looking around me to make sure that everyone was okay. I tried to head towards the porch, but as I took a step I stumbled. I had forgotten about my bitten leg.

I glanced down; my pantleg was torn where I had been bitten through the middle of my calf, the wound was red and inflamed. I gritted my teeth, I was getting to that porch one way or another. I had to see that everyone was all right, besides the usual injuries from a fight.