Chapter Twenty

The next morning dawned way too early. Only it wasn't to Patricia opening my door and flicking on the light switch. It was a low moan coming from Jaydon, who was still curled up on my floor. I rolled over with a groan and turned on my bedside lamp. "What's wrong with you?" I asked.

He glared up at me, curled up around his stomach. "I feel sick."

"Like you're gonna puke?"

He nodded.

"Then get in the bathroom, you idiot!" I shouted. "I don't want you puking on my floor!" I leapt out of bed and went to stand before him. "Come on, get your lazy butt up."

"What if I just crawl?" he suggested.

"Fine." I followed him to the bathroom, even opening the door for him. Then I went back into my room and scooped up "his" pillow and blanket and carried them into the bathroom for him. He had settled down on the floor a few feet away from my toilet. I actually crouched down on the floor beside him and tucked a pillow underneath his head before tossing the blanket over him. "Is there anything else you want?" I asked softly.

"Some 7-Up and some Ritz crackers?" he asked, his voice much quieter than usual. It's weird to me, having him be so sickly. He's never like this.

"Yeah," I said gently. "I'll be right back, okay?" He nodded weakly and I slipped out of the door, leaving him alone in peace and quiet. My pace down the stair was faster than it probably should have been. I might have tripped and fell on my face, but I didn't think so. I was usually more coordinated than that.

Patricia was in the kitchen, and she raised her eyebrows at me as I skidded to a stop in front of her. "I'm getting some stuff for Jaydon. He's sick and lying on the floor in my bathroom, so I told him I'd get him some 7-Up and some crackers. If he pukes on my floor I'm going to kill him, though."

"He's in your room?" Patricia asked.

I sighed and nodded. "Yeah. He didn't want to sleep across the hall from the vampires. He was afraid that he'd have a nightmare and then go kill them or something, so I told him he could sleep on my floor."

Much to my surprise, she nodded. "All right." Then she filled a small water bottle with some 7-Up and handed me a package of crackers. "Take those up to him."

"Thanks, Patricia."

I carried the stuff upstairs and carefully pushed open the door to my bathroom. Jaydon was asleep again, curled up in a little ball like a kitten. I rolled my eyes and set his food on the ground a short distance away from him for when he woke up. When I walked back out into my room I glanced at the clock.

It was 6:30, wayyyyy too early to be up. I didn't want to go to sleep just to wake up again to hear him puking in the next room, though, so I sneakily made my way downstairs and opened the door to his room. No one was in there, so I walked inside and flopped down on his bed, instantly falling asleep.

~~~

"Jay? Are you in there?" Jenni's voice pulled me from sleep. For a second I was confused, and then I realized that I was burrowed completely underneath all of Jaydon's blankets. I popped my head out, causing Jenni to jump.

"Sera?" she asked. I gave her a faint smile.

"Good morning, Jenni. Your brother is upstairs, lying in my bathroom, feeling like he's going to throw up."

"I see why you left," Jenni said. "I'll go check in on him right now."

"Thanks. And will you tell him that if he gets me sick, I'm going to kill him as soon as he's better?" She laughed and nodded before leaving the room. I glanced around, looking for a clock. I knew that Jaydon had one in here somewhere. When I finally found it, it was 10:30. Yeah, I should probably get up.

I climbed out of bed and looked down at what I was wearing. I'd fallen asleep in a pair of basketball shorts and a tanktop. I shrugged. Good enough. I didn't feel like going upstairs just to find some other clothes. I really didn't want to get sick. I hated it more than I hated school.

I wandered back downstairs to find Lanie, Samuel and Bishop all sitting at the kitchen table with a big platter of bacon and pancakes in front of them. "Hey, share!" I demanded, grabbing a plate and a fork off of the counter and sitting down beside Lanie. Bishop pushed the platter over towards me and I flashed him a smile. "Thanks."

"Where's Jay?" Lanie asked. "He hasn't been downstairs yet today, and he's not with you."

"He's lying in my room, sick," I replied. "The selfish brat!" They all rolled their eyes at me, even the vampire boy. "What? He could have been sick in his own room, but no, he chose to get sick in my room!"

We all fell silent as we dug into our delicious breakfast. Then I looked at Lanie. "Have you seen Ariana or Peter today?" She shook her head. "What about you, Bishop?" I asked. He was her brother, after all. He shook his head too. "Well maybe they went for a run. I'm going to go check on Jay."

I dumped my dishes in the sink and slowly made my way up the stairs. Just leave it to that stupid boy to catch the flu. I walked into the bathroom to find him sitting up, his back against the wall. Some of the 7-Up was gone, and he was nibbling on a cracker.

"Hi, Sera," he said with a trace of a smile. "I puked five times. I think I'm done now." As he caught sight of the look on my face a wicked grin spread over his face.

"Way too much information, Jay," I groaned, sitting down. "I take it you're feeling much better?" He nodded. "Yeah. I might be able to leave your bathroom in a couple of hours."

"Okay. Call me if you need anything, otherwise, I'm staying as far away from you as possible."