Chapter Thirty

The next morning dawned bright and early. Time to go back to school, vacation was over. Darn it all. But I had to admit, it felt different, having vampire venom in my blood. I don't know how to describe it, it was just...not the same. I rushed to shower and blow dry my hair before pulling on a pair of jeans and a slightly faded Journey t-shirt. I wandered out of my room, a bit tired even though I had had a pretty good night's sleep without Jaydon sleeping on my floor.

In the kitchen I grabbed one of the blueberry muffins that Patricia had made the night before. I was just buttering it up as Bishop, Ariana and Peter entered the kitchen. "Hey," I said quietly. "Are two going to go to school with Peter today?"

"Ariana is," Peter said. "And we're taking Lanie, Sam, and Jenni. So that leaves you, Jaydon, Mark, Ryan and Bishop all in Jay's Audi."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. "Great. Me and four guys, all crammed into Jay's little Audi. Why couldn't we have a limo or a Suburban or something?" Peter laughed at me but I ignored him and just took a bite of my muffin. "Speaking of Jay, where is he?" I was so confused right now, and I was hoping that he would let me drive. Technically I wasn't supposed to drive people outside my family, but I figured they were all close enough.

"Probably still sleeping," Peter said. "You might want to go make sure he's awake. The same with Mark and Ryan." I nodded and quickly demolished the rest of my muffin before making my way upstairs.

I banged on Mark and Ryan's doors, causing them to yell back at me that they were in various stages of getting dressed. I rolled my eyes and went down the hall a little farther to knock on Jaydon's door. When I didn't get an answer, I pushed it open slowly and stepped inside. As soon as I was in his room, I could hear the running water of his shower. "Jay, hurry up!" I yelled. "I want to talk to you!"

"You could come in and talk to me right now," he offered slyly.

"No way, no how, Jay," I replied. "I'll wait in the hall. So would you just hurry your butt up? I don't want to be late to school."

"Ah, you know the way I drive, Sera. We'll never be late." Then there was a pause. "Dang it, Sera, do you want to drive my Audi?!?" I remained silent. I had known he was going to throw a temper tantrum, but I had hoped he wouldn't do it in the shower. "SERA! You know how I feel about that car!"

"Yes, but you know how I feel about Mark and Ryan," I answered calmly. "So if you let me drive, just this once, it will totally make up for you living in my room when you were so contagiously sick and kicking me out of it."

"Fine," he groaned.

"Thanks, Jay!" I called with a smile before quickly leaving his room. When I got downstairs, Ariana, Peter and the others were getting ready to leave. I waved them off and then began to search for the spare set of keys to Jay's Audi. I was going to go get into it before he had the chance to change his mind.

Ten minutes later all four boys ran out the door, clearly in a race for shotgun. Jaydon was sprinting full out, and beating Mark and Ryan, but Bishop was neck and neck with him. I gripped the steering wheel tightly and just then the door flew open and two boys crashed into the passenger seat.

"Ha!" Bishop cried loudly. "My butt's on the seat more, I win!!!" I rolled my eyes. Yes, that was the rule, Bishop, and I'm pretty sure Jaydon knows it. But as my eyes met Bishop's, I didn't know who I would rather have riding shotgun with me. I brushed that thought out of my head and slid the key into the ignition, starting it.

"Drive fast, Sera!" Mark and Ryan cheered. "Peter only goes five over, the wuss!" I rolled my eyes at them but jammed my foot onto the accelerator, racing out of the driveway and pulling out. Fifteen over the entire way to school was the way to go, I decided. Unless of course I had some inkling that a cop might be near.