Chapter Ten

The door opened and I shifted nervously, hoping that the vampire girl didn't notice. "Hey," I said quietly. "Patricia said to come upstairs and warn you that we're leaving the house for school in ten minutes." She nodded tightly. The tension in the air was pretty obvious.

"Okay. Thank you," she said softly, and I turned and walked away. I caught a glimpse of the other car pulling down the drive. Peter had to drive Lanie and Samuel to school today, since Patricia had ordered us to take the vampires. Jenni and I had already agreed that I would get shotgun, seeing as how she was the one who was the most accepting of the vampires.

I hurried back to my room. If Jaydon was driving us to school, it would probably be a good idea if he was awake. When I opened the door, I spotted him still sleeping on my floor, wrapped tightly in the blanket that I had let him borrow. He looked much more peaceful than he usually did when he was awake. There was no glare, no sarcastic smirk. Too bad.

"Wake up," I ordered loudly, walking over to him and kicking him in the side. He growled as he rolled onto his back, still sleeping. "Jay-don!" I said with great exasperation, preparing to kick him in the gut again. It took two more rather hard kicks before he finally woke up.

"What?" he grumbled, throwing his pillow at me. I snatched it out of the air and set it softly back on my bed among the others. 

"It's time for you to wake up for school. We're driving the vampires today, you know." That got him up much faster than usual.

"What?" he exclaimed. "We're taking the bloodsuckers to school in my car?"

I nodded. "Get up and get dressed. We leave in eight minutes." He picked himself up off the floor, grumbling the entire time, tossing the blanket back on my bed. "I'll be downstairs in two minutes," he said. "You had better hope that I don't run into either of those vampires on the way to my room."

"Yeah yeah yeah," I said, making my way downstairs. Jenni was dressed and ready to leave, lounging in one of the chairs at the kitchen table. Both of the vampires were there too, causing me to pause in the doorway. Jenni raised her eyebrows at me and tipped her head to the left. That meant that Steve and Patricia were just in the other room. I put on a fake smile and took my usual seat at the table.

Nobody said a word, and a few moments later Jaydon came down the stairs. He wrinkled his nose as he spotted the vampires sitting by us, but he said not a word as he spun his chair around and sat down next to me. "No breakfast?" he asked.

"None for you," Jenni replied. "You woke up too late. At least I assume that you did. Where did you sleep last night? You weren't in your room when I went to wake you up this morning." Jaydon grinned slightly.

"I slept in Sera's room last night."

Jenni's eyes widened and she turned to look at me. I could feel a blush spread across my cheeks even as I shook my head at her quickly.

"Jaydon!" Steve's voice came from the other room. "Get yourselves rounded up and into that car before you're late for school!"

"Okay!" Jaydon yelled back. "Come on girls, bloodsuckers." He stood up and snatched his keys off the kitchen counter, starting for the door. Bishop and Ariana didn't appear to be too pleased with his new nickname for them, but they said nothing.

"Don't forget an airfreshner!" Patricia yelled after us. "I left one hooked on the key rack for you guys!"

"Okay," I said, and quickly pulled the vanilla-scented air freshner from the hook. Jenni was a few steps behind us with the vampires, Jaydon already out the door and in the driver's seat. I jumped into the passenger seat of the Audi, hanging the air freshner from the rearview mirror.

Jenni and the twins climbed into the backseat, and off we went. Jaydon's grip on the steering wheel was much, much tighter than usual, his knuckles turning white from how firmly he was clenching it. He mouth was set in a tight line, and he didn't even appear to find any joy in going fifteen over. I cast a quick glance at the vampires. The girl's hands were clenched into fists, but the boy seemed to be enjoying himself.

We were at school ten minutes before the bell rang, giving Bishop and Ariana enough time to go to the office and get their class schedules. I let Jenni take them, leaving me with Jaydon.

"I can't believe I actually had to drive them to school! Why couldn't Peter have taken them?"

"Oh, do calm down, would you, Jay? It wasn't that bad. Besides, you won't have to see them until you drive them home, and then you can avoid them after that if you want." He nodded, appearing to calm down a little bit. "Now why don't you go find your vampire hating friends, Mark and Ryan, and try not to get into a fight with Peter, even though you're totally ticked off at him, all right?"

"Yeah, I'll try. See ya, Sera." He ruffled my hair as he headed off to find the others. I glared at his retreating back. He knew that I hated it when he did that.