Chapter 37

Bishop

I lay in my bed thinking of Serafina and letting my mind wander to hers. She was very uneasy and I didn't like that. I carefully put calming thoughts into her head and soon she was in a deep dreamless sleep. I smiled, then turned my attention to the new pack.

They were mentally sick as well as physically sick. I knew their leader was telling the truth but they...there was something wrong with their minds. Their minds were as clear looking into them as if I was looking from the bottom of a well. Not like when I looked into someone else's mind, like Serafina's. Her mind is crystal clear to me...so clear that it comforts me to look in it.

I sighed, unsure if they could be trusted. Yes they were telling the truth but they're also hiding something and I don't even know if they know they are. My mind wandered to my sister's mind, she was sleeping so soundly. She was in Peter's arms and she was happily dreaming about him. I chuckled at her dreams then wandered to the other packmates.

Born vampires don't have to have much sleep. Some can go weeks without sleep but its still a nice feeling to have; also, to dream.

One of the werewolves...the youngest, Lanie. She subconsciously was reaching out wildly with her mind. Her mind was very strong for her age. Her pleading sent vibrations though my mind. They hurt; she was having a very bad nightmare.

I jumped up and followed her smell until I found her room. When I walked in she was thrashing in her bed. Her nightmare was horrible, it was so bad it was trying to find its way into my mind to infect it.

I spoke directly into her mind, "Lanie, I need you to wake up now." I kept talking to her like that until she was finally awake when I started actually talking to her. "Shhh, Lanie, it was just a bad dream."

She was hugging me tightly, crying, "No you don't understand."

"What don't I understand?" I spoke softly rocking her back and forth. I may come off as a jerk and a player but I'm a brother, I know how to deal with this kind of situation. Ariana had countless bad dreams when we were growing up.

Lanie had stopped crying but she was still sniffing her nose. "I can't tell you."

I moved her so I could see her eyes. Her blonde hair was messy and static as it was clinging to the sides of her face. Her baby blue eyes were puffy and red from crying. "If I tell you my secret...will you tell me yours?"

She looked at me and nodded her head.

"I can read people's minds." I pointed at her head. Her eyes grew wide.

"Yeah right," she said. "What am I thinking of then?" Her mind thought of soup, then puppies, then Christmas as she tried to decide what to think of.

I told her what she had been thinking of and her eyes got even bigger then she giggled then she looked down at her hands. "I have visions when I dream...they always come true."

My eyes got wide...I thought only vampires had powers like that. I opened my mouth to say something but I realised she was sound asleep. I carefully put her back on her bed and as I left her dreams went to how tomorrow was her birthday and how she would probably not get what she wanted. I smiled; she was going to get a big surprise. 

~~~ 

Ariana

"Ariana." I woke up to my brother shaking my shoulder.

"What?" I groaned and turned into Peter's shoulder, inhaling his sweet smell.

"Ariana, I need your guys' help." I jumped up, which woke up Peter.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked hurriedly, looking him up and down, finding no injures.

"Nothing I'm fine." He chuckled. "It's Lanie's birthday and she had a nightmare last night so I wanted to do something for her so she doesn't have to think about it."

"Awww, Bishop, that's so sweet." I threw my arms around his neck. "Of course I'll help. I don't know about Peter though."

"I'll help," Peter said smiling at me.

I hugged him. "Thanks."

It was 4 o'clock in the morning and we worked until Steve and Patricia woke up at 6 and they started helping us too. At around 7, Bishop went out to get a gift and he wouldn't tell anyone what it was. A half hour later, Steve and Patricia told Peter and me. "Go get Sera, Jay, and Jen up so you guys can take Lanie out. But make sure to be back by noon."  

~~~ 

Soon we were all going out the back door. We took her out for ice cream and window shopping or at least, it was window shopping. We all came out with at least a bag. All I got was a gift for Lanie, one for the other pack and I had bought Peter a watch because he was always asking for the time.

We then went to a bread store and bought a loaf of bread and went to the park and fed the ducks.

We went to the swing. Bishop was pushing Lanie and Serafina on the swings. It was funny, he ran from one to the other trying to keep them both up in the air. Lanie was just giggling so hard at him and Serafina was just laughing right along with her.

Peter had his arms wrapped around my waist as we watched them. I smiled and told Peter, "Bishop's seemed to take to those two, huh?"

"Yep, he has."

"I'm glad. I like it here, and so does Bishop." I leaned back against Peter, watching as Jaydon ran over, laughing as he took over pushing Serafina. Bishop gave him a dirty look when he wasn't looking but let him. I laughed and told Peter about it.

We then went to the mountain and ran. We made it back by noon and we lagged back as Lanie ran up to the house to put her stuff up. We were talking about random stuff so she didn't realise it, expect Bishop, he was racing her up to the house letting her win. We quickly rushed up so we could see her reaction.