Chapter Fifty Two

I awoke the next morning to soft sunlight streaming in through my windows. I yawned and went to stretch my arms out above my head. That was when I realized that someone was holding my arms close by my sides. With another yawn I opened my eyes and lifted my head.

"OH MY GOD!" I shrieked. Bishop's green eyes snapped open at my yell and his arms released me. I scrambled as far away from him as my bed would allow, pressing a shaking hand to my heart. He looked at me and a touch of hurt showed in his eyes. "What are you doing in my room, in my bed?" I asked, trying to regain my composure. I had never been so startled in my life. Of course, I didn't even remember falling asleep last night.

He sighed heavily. "Making sure that you were all right," he replied quietly.

I exhaled sharply, trying to keep my temper under check. "I'm going to go check on everyone else," I said shortly, slipping out of my bed and quickly exiting the room. Glancing down at myself I noticed that I was still in the clothes I had been wearing yesterday. They were all torn, my pantleg ripped and tiny tears in my shirt. I shrugged and continued on my way. I vaguely remembered Bishop carrying me upstairs after the fight...and oh my god, had I let him suck my blood? I knew that it had only been to get the infection out, but still! How tired had I been last night?

I headed for the kitchen; somebody was always in the kitchen. There I found Jaydon and Lanie. Both of them looked worried and depressed. There was a bandage wrapped around Jaydon's forearm but other than that he looked all right. "Is everybody all right?" I asked. "You guys look glum."

Jaydon shook his head, not even looking up. Lanie swallowed the mouthful that she had been chewing and answered me. "Everybody just has the usual cuts, scrapes and bites. Except Ariana. She got bit real bad."

"And she's a vampire," I whispered. "Everyone we were fighting against was a werewolf. Is she gonna be all right?"

"We don't know," Lanie said. "They were talking about her and Peter...." she trailed off. "They thought that maybe a werewolf bite could make her better. She's in her room right now, probably still sleeping," she said conclusively.

"Does Bishop know?" was my next question.

Jaydon shook his head now. "Nope. We couldn't find him last night after he ran through the house and upstairs with you in his arms." His tone was cold, and I flinched away from him. He didn't notice though, as his gaze had turned back to the plate of food before him.

"Oh." I took a deep breath and hurried out of the room and upstairs, trying to ignore the feeling that a knife had just been plunged into my heart. Jaydon was ticked, and he had never spoken that coldly to me before. I pushed that out of my mind. I had more important things to worry about right now than whether or not Jaydon hated me.

I had no idea where to find Bishop, but seeing as the last place I had seen him was in my room I figured that would be a good place to start. I pushed open my door but he wasn't there any longer. So then I headed down a flight of stairs and tried to remember which room was his.

I knocked on the door softly and was greeted with a quiet, "Who's there?"

"Bishop? It's Serafina. Look, I need to talk to you." At that he opened the door, his eyes looking a bit apprehensive.

"What about?"

"Last night, during the fight, Ariana got bitten." Fear appeared in his eyes at those words.

"Where is she?" he asked.

"She's in her room."