Chapter Twenty Six

I was asleep in Ariana's room when I was awakened by a young child's hands on my face. I forced my eyes open and saw Lanie staring at me. "Are you sick yet, Sera?" she asked quietly. "Because Jaydon and Jenni are sick, Mark and Ryan are sick, Patricia's sick, and now Peter's sick too. Steve sent me to check on you. He and Nata are in the library, looking for anything that it could possibly be while they wait for Alison."

"No, I'm not sick, Lanie. Come on, let's go get some food for them. Alll that looking has got to be making them hungry." Lanie nodded and followed me downstairs. We quickly whipped up some turkey sandwiches and poured some chips into a bowl before carrying them down the hall to the big library.

I pushed open the heavy door uncertainly, not knowing whether Steve would be mad at us or not for intruding. But then I saw that Samuel was in there too. Thinking back on what Lanie had told me when she woke me up, we are the only four, well, besides the vampires, who aren't sick. What is going on here?

"Hello, Serafina, Lanie," Nata said, and her voice was tired. Thick volumes were open and spread out all over the sturdy oak table, discarded ones stacked haphazardly and ready to fall over at any moment. Worry lines were carved into Steve's forehead, and I cautiously set the food down inbetween them. Nata flashed me a small smile, and Steve nodded his appreciation. Sam hurried to snag a sandwich for himself before retreating back to a plush armchair.

Lanie went to sit on a chair similar to Sam's while I slowly took a seat at the table. I swallowed nervously before asking, "Do you know what's wrong with them yet?" I wanted them to know, I really did, but I was also afraid that there would be no cure and that we would all die. I know, totally illogical. But I couldn't help feeling that way.

Nata nodded cautiously. "Yes. We figured out why they are sick, and we found other cases of the same disease." She paused, and I knew that there was something she didn't want to tell me. The look on my face, however, must have convinced her that telling me would be good. "We haven't located a cure yet. That's why I called Alison. Once we do, it will probably be something that I'll need her help with anyways."

"I see," I said quietly, lifting a book that they hadn't purused yet from the pile on the table. "Can I help look?" Both Steve and Nata nodded, so I opened the book and began to scan its many pages, a feeling of urgency beginning to overtake me. What would happen to my packmates if we didn't find the cure? What would happen to Jaydon and Jenni? Mark and Ryan? And now, Patricia and Peter? What would become of all of us?

I tried to banish the dismal thoughts from my mind and focus instead on finding a cure for this latest storm that life had flung at us. The book was so boring, but I fought back sleepiness as I tried to pay attention. If I somehow missed the cure and wasted valuable time, so much time that Jaydon and Jenni died, I would never forgive myself.

Almost an hour passed before the sound of the doorbell rang throughout the house. Steve stood up, leaving Nata with her nose buried in one of the books, and went to answer the door. Lanie and I exchanged nervous glances. Could Alison know the cure for this mysterious disease?

I continued flipping through the pages until Steve and Alison reappeared. Alison was stunning. If she wasn't a doctor I swear she would be a model. She was about six feet tall with long blonde hair and had bright blue eyes, and the clearest tan complextion that you've ever seen.

"Hey," she said softly. "I know we need to find a cure, but I would like to go check on our patients first. Nata, do you mind if I go and you stay here? We can get more accomplished that way." Nata nodded.

"I can show you who is where and all of that," I offered. I hoped that she wouldn't shoot me down. "Jaydon and Jenni are in my room; I've been in and out of there all day. If I'm going to get sick, going in once more won't make any difference." Alison nodded and we exited the room quickly. "Jaydon's worst off," I told her. "Do you want to go up there first?"

"Yes," she said. "I should warn you, though, Serafina. If this is what Nata thinks it is, things could be...very...well, ugly in there."

"Are you trying to tell me that Jaydon might be dead when I walk in there?" I asked. The thought had crossed my mind, but I hadn't allowed myself to dwell on it. Now, when Alison was telling me that he might be dead? I knew that it was actually serious.

So I couldn't help but take a deep breath as I turned the doorknob to get into my room. I tried not to look like I was hesitating as I pushed the door open, but Alison's words had unnerved me. I stepped inside, with her right behind me. Patricia had gone to her and Steve's room, seeing as there was next to no room inside my room any more.

Jaydon was still out in my bed. I went and I sat down on the foot of it as Alison walked up to stoop over his head and take his pulse. "He's still alive," she told me softly. I smiled in relief and idly picked up Jaydon's limp hand. I turned it over and over as Alison checked him over.

She was almost done when his pretty green eyes slowly opened. "H-ey," he said, his voice very gravelly. "Long time, no see, Alison." She rolled her eyes at his antics, and I have to admit that I was smiling faintly.

"Well if you hadn't decided to get sick it would have been a much longer time," she informed him quietly. "Now you just lie still and rest. I need to go check on your sister." She looked at me, and I pointed to the bathroom. "All right. You stay here with this sickly young man, Serafina." I nodded and she went into the bathroom to check on Jenni.

My eyes dropped to the floor, studying the familiar blue shag carpeting. I could still see a little bit of an indent where Jaydon had spent the last three nights. I was amazed at how quickly this disease had spread throughout our pack. More than half of us were sick already. I hoped that I didn't get sick too. It would be horrible.

"Hey, Sera." Jaydon's voice, normally so cocky, sounded strange in its weakened state. "C'mon, tell me how bad this sickness really is. I mean, it's got to be bad if Alison is here instead of Nata."

"Nata's here too," I answered immediately.

"That doesn't change the fact that Alison is here too. Now come on, Sera. Spill the beans; don't you think that I deserve to know? We're almost all sick, and not even the flu spreads that fast in this pack! Would you please tell me?"

"Fine," I finally replied. "It's crazy bad, all right? Nata found some other cases of it, but we're still looking for a cure. I mean, you could die. All right? Is that enough information for you?" My voice had been steadily rising the entire time.

"Calm down, Sera," he instructed, reaching out to lay a hand on my arm, his eyes boring into mine. "You guys will find the cure, I know that you will. Patricia's sick too; Steve won't let anyone rest until we know how to stop this."

Just then Alison exited the bathroom. "Thankfully your sister is in better shape than you are, Jaydon," she said, but beneath the forced smile her face was grim. "Will you show me to Mark and Ryan?" I nodded and we left the room. I peeked my head back in before I closed the door and waved good-bye to Jaydon. He was so pale.

Soon Alison had examined Mark, Ryan, Patricia and Peter. None of them were in as bad of shape as Jaydon, although Patricia was looking pretty bad herself. We walked back into the library, not expecting any news, but we were surprised.

"Alison!" Nata exclaimed as we entered. "I think I've found a cure!"