:Genius: Chapter Fourteen

“So … you just skipped?” Asked Asha, as if it was the most bizarre idea in the world. I laughed at her, crossing my legs and staring at her from across the room. She had already gave me a rant about order, signing out of school and being prepared for going on a trip to, in her words, 'where ever you kids go these days', then she had entered a curious stage, wondering how exactly someone could drop all of their work and their schedule to do something as mediocre as skipping class. I wrote a mental sticky note stating I had to break Asha away from her controlled lifestyle. I wanted to show her the most fun you could have wasn't doing a preliminary test on the correlation between hunger and toilet breaks.

“Yeah, it was fun. Eureka has a good café there.” Jean snorted from where she was sitting on her bed.

“You skipped school, went all the way to Eureka just to obtain food from a small town café instead of walking to the cafeteria and getting something made by the expensive and professional chief we have already in our mitts?” She asked sceptically. I rolled my eyes at her.

“I didn't want to go to lessons, so I decided to go to a place I never have before. I'd never been Eureka, and now I have. It was a nice place too, I saw this little place with a karaoke sign up, we should totally go their on one of our holidays.” I told them.

“I've never been to Italy before, and I bet they sing pretty good what with the Operas and all.” Jean muttered, staring off. I raised my eyebrow at her, but she didn't notice. I glanced at Asha, who just shrugged, obviously used to it. There was a knock on the door, interrupting any change of topic we were about to do. Jean being the closest to the door stood up and walked over to it, opening it a little before snatching a note out of someone's hands and slamming the door.

“Jane's in trouble.” Jean sang, fanning the piece of paper she had in her hands. I rolled my eyes, taking the paper and immediately recognising the hand writing as Mack's. I stood, already knowing it said I had to come to his office.

“Seeya later, guys.” I mumbled, and strode out the room. I tried to shut the door as quietly as possible, delaying my inevitable scolding. When I turned around I was hit by deja vu. And a 6'2 person. I looked up and met the cool dark eyes of Anton Sabonni and my face immediately flushed. He opened his mouth, no doubt to mock me in some way, but saw my red cheeks and a wave of curiosity flew across his face. I scolded myself for my unconscious actions and turned quickly.

“S-sorry, I'll just go.” I muttered, and even as I was walking away I could feel his curious gaze. I had to restrain myself from hitting my forehead.

What. an. Idiot.

I faintly heard Anton's voice after a few seconds calling for Jean and Asha, they had more studying to do. As I made my way into the lounge my eyes drifted to the wall.

June 4th, tomorrow, the Semi-finals of the Gifted Champion's. I shook my head, quickening my pace.

Mack was alone in his office, a pile of freshly marked papers on his side. He didn't have to look up to know I was here, being the person he was I expected he know from a couple of minutes ago. He probably calculated the time it would take the girl to send the message, knowing I would come straight away, calculated the time it would take myself-

“Your grades have improved just the right amount for the time you've spent here. By the time you graduate you should be at least average for the students here.” He cut off my internal rambling. I nodded in reply, unsure what it would be like to get told off by Mack Linen. He never got angry, ever. He was the kind of person to joke, to laugh, to make a genius fifteen year old pretend to be mentally unable. I braced myself for anything.

“Lily called.” I looked down just as he looked up, refusing to meet his eyes.

“I knew I shouldn't have let you come here.” He muttered under his breath, but he knew I'd hear. For some reason, that really irked me.