Chapter 26

Raelyn

Very shortly after that intense exchange between my father and Stefano, they went off to discuss some type of matter. I was left to be in the living room with my mother who just couldn't keep her hands away from me. Alessio and Sacco stood off to the side keeping watch of my mother and I.

Mother kept touching my face and my hair, wiping my tears and making disapproving faces at my appearance. I was wearing a large shirt with leggings, an outfit she despised. But, that's how I knew my mother was still the same.

She gave me a countenance that told me she was itching to tell me something. "If you're about to say you're disappointed, I want to tell you I know that already." I said avoiding eye contact with her.
She sighed. "I'm just relieved you're back. You have no idea how afraid for you I was." She told me, her voice fragile.

What she said made me wonder how Vincent's family and mother would be reacting with news that their son is dead. I couldn't help breaking down again. I couldn't contain my emotions anymore.

"I understand why you ran away..." she said suddenly. I furrowed my eyebrows.
"No, you don't." I stated firmly.

"I do. You're a strong girl and you don't want your future chosen for you. You wanted your own love story but, what's done is done."

I stood up, startling my mother. I began walking away from her, trying to find somewhere else to cope with my feelings."You can't walk away from me like that, Raelyn. I taught you better." I heard her say as she followed me closely. I turned around quickly.

"You taught me that I must submit to men by giving up what I want for myself in life. You taught me to live to be the best wife any man would want to have. That's what you taught me."

"Listen Raelyn, I wasn't doing that for no reason. I was preparing you for St-"
"You don't love me, you don't love me at all." I spit out.

Her face showed pure horror. "Raelyn! Don't you dare say that, you know I do. I love you more than anything in this world!"

"You love money, you love this new house. That's what you and father traded me for." I seethed. I was about to say more when I bumped into a hard body. The familiar arms holding me in place told me it was Stefano. My blood ran cold as I pulled away from him.

He watched me with careful eyes as I drew back from him in fear.

-

I've been in this hell of a house for a month, not knowing how I could wake up to endure each and every single day. Vincent's death kept me up every night and kept me in a trance daily. I didn't forget about the pain. I wasn't giving up on what I really wanted for myself, just because I've been caught.

Doing so, would be spitting on Vincent.

I had no phone, nothing to communicate with the outside world. The tension between my father and I only grew to higher heights. Not only did he avoid eye contact with me, but since I've came back, he hasn't uttered a word towards me.

I knew he and along with everyone else had suspicion that I might be planning my escape again and, they aren't wrong. Sacco and Alessio were both on duty to watch me. The day Stefano brought me here, Alessio and Sacco were left behind to watch me.

Alessio is my personal guard and Sacco is usually just on patrol. Judging by the look of boredom on their faces, I knew they rather be blowing bullets into people's heads than watching to make sure I didn't run away. I didn't like Alessio one bit. He had a smug and cocky personality and I didn't doubt that he didn't like me that much either.

Stefano came once a week to talk to my father, but I was pretty sure he just came to see if I was still alive. I always avoided him and he knew.

Mother has been trying to get close to me but I push her away each time.