Chapter 12

Stefano

"Shit, shit!" I banged the side of my fist against the wall before turning my burning gaze to Adriano who was just as conflicted. "And I bet the fucking police is already involved." I cursed.

"They are. The Russians threw torches into nearby shops and vehicles and the casualties are fatal."

Before I could answer, my phone began ringing and I quickly answered seeing it was the consigliere. Adriano looked at me expectantly. He knew his father was calling no doubt to ask for permission to order an attack on the Russians.

"I assume the news has already gotten to you. What am I to do?"

"I've gotten word that the cops are involved. We are going to lay low for now and attack the Russians when it's least expected. Are there any updates?" I needed time to outline and focus a plan.

There was a moment of silence before he spoke. "We have one of the Russians."

I hung up the phone. That was all I needed to hear.

"Boss," I heard Sacco say as he made himself visible, walking towards us.

"Bring the car around, party's over."

Raelyn

I didn't realize I fell asleep during my ride home until I jolted against my seatbelt and I heard my uber driver curse. "Shit!"

I rapidly blinked my eyes and turned towards my window seeing numerous police cars and firemen running down the streets. My head was starting to pound by the amount of noise I was taking in. How did I sleep through this?

More importantly, what is going on?

I took out my phone and saw I had numerous missed calls from my mother and several text messages from Vincent and Gigi.

Vincent
Be Careful on your way home baby, some assholes just ran through our neighborhood 
11:28pm

Gigi
Rae!!!! Are you home yet?!! It's crazy outside I hope you get home safe!
11:24pm

I bit my lip after reading their texts and I looked at my window again. "Oh God..." l whispered, my heart thudding against my chest in fear. A few of the cars on our street were burning and the firemen were putting them out with hoses.

Some policemen were helping unlucky victims on stretchers and the same applied to the small shops on the street. I didn't realize I was crying until I felt a drop of water on my arm. The car began to move and I noticed we were slowly turning the corner to the street where the raturaunt I worked at is.

Or should I say, used to work at. The windows were cracked, chairs were flipped over, and ashes were everywhere.

What happened?

"Uh, kiddo...is this your stop?" My uber driver looked at me through the rearview mirror. I didn't realize I had stopped right in front of my building. I slowly nodded my head and got out of the vehicle, thanking him. I was also thankful it seemed nothing much had gone on at my street.

I was immediately engulfed in a hug when I opened the door. "Mother, i'm okay. I heard what happened." I said, pulling away from her. She nodded her head as she examined my face tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "It's getting too dangerous for you to be coming home late these days." She said finally pulling away from me and smoothing down her nightgown.

I ignored her comment as I took off my heels. "Where's Father?" I asked, realizing he wasn't home. He didn't even call me to see if I was okay. I watched her visibly tense at my question which made me slightly squint my eyes. "He's doing work, Rae. Anyway, how was the event? Was Stefano there?" She asked, her mood all of a sudden elevated.