Chapter 3

Raelyn

I knew already.

These men in suits operated lowkey. These men were dangerous and could make you disappear without so much as a thought. People that I used to see everyday on the street, I saw no more.

It wasn't like they could just leave the neighborhood either, it wasn't that easy.

I glanced down. Gigi was right. It didn't make sense for Stefano and his men to just let me go like that. So why?

They were a secret bunch. Why would they risk being exposed by me? A female? And especially an outsider?

I knew how the people I walked past on the sidewalk looked at me. I knew they held their tongues when I walked by. How much less would people who run the town feel about an outsider?

I looked at my watch. It was now 8:30 and I had to head home about now if I wanted to get caught up with my assignments.

"Rae," Gigi said my name as a whisper. I looked at her and before I could say what, I followed her gaze to the six stout men walking out of the restaurant and in front of us. A few of them checked the surroundings, probably trying to check for a possible drive by, about two were talking with each other and adjusting their ties, and last but not least, Stefano Vanzetti locking eyes with me before skillfully buttoning up his jacket.

He didn't give anything away with his eyes. He didn't give me reassurance that he wasn't plotting my death, and he definitely didn't look like a superhero.

No...he looked more like a knight in shining armor. A knight that just saved you and went back into hiding without so much as asking for your name.

We gazed at each other for longer than necessary before I broke away.

When they were out of sight, Gigi pinched my arm. "Ow! What was that for?" I harshly whispered, snapping my head in her direction.

"I know he looks like sex on legs but don't get caught up." Gigi told me, raising an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about?"

Her facial expression didn't move. "I saw how you looked at him."

"How'd I look at him?" I challenged. Gigi raised her chin up at me. "Like you wanna get to know him."

"Well, you're wrong." I told her, even though I knew deep within me that was the truth. "I was going through the motion, Gigi. I was merely shocked."

Gigi scoffed. "I'm not a stupid girl, Rae. It's insulting."

I wanted to ask Gigi more about Stefano and the mob. I knew she knew about them better than she led on. Her father is in it and works for Stefano. I knew that her father wasn't consigliere or anything like a high ranking official, but If Gigi is acting like this, she knew how dangerous these men really were.

*

It was early Sunday morning. The church was packed considering this was the weekend before thanksgiving. The holiday was sort of meaningless for the community but at the same time, why not be looking forward to eating until you burst and giving thanks to what you have?

The ushers lead us to our seats. I sat in the middle section alongside my mother and father. I took in the decorations inside the church at the same time looking at people who entered. I saw many that I haven't seen in the church for a long time.

I watched as familiar faces leaned into each other to kiss their cheeks and I smiled as I saw joy on their faces.

I frowned as I saw other faces. I saw familiar people who were so corrupt that it made me tilt my head to the side.