Chapter 29

Raelyn

Raelyn

For the first time, I woke up with Stefano lying right beside me as if we were the perfect married couple. He was awake too with his fingers playing in my hair, his eyes staring at the ceiling. It felt so strange being this close to him. I might have gone nose blind to his pleasant smelling aroma. He always smelled good and if I couldn't smell him now, that meant I was getting very used to him.

It's only been 4 days.

"Are you awake, Rae?" He asked, eyes still on the ceiling. "Yes..."

There was silence between us before he spoke. "I was aware of your existence for a long time, I just-never truly looked your way until the night I killed that man in front of your eyes." He said suddenly. He must have been carrying our conversation from last night to this morning.
Before I could respond, he continued.

"You weren't supposed to see that. No one, especially a female, was supposed to witness that scene. For that matter you were persistent in my thoughts. I didn't know what to do with you, neither did I understand why I didn't deal with you. I don't usually spare anyone, neither do I let them leave my thoughts before reaching a conclusion." He glanced down at my intrigued countenance.

"You then began to captivate me. Your beauty, a kind I'm not used to seeing, your voice, a voice I'm not used to listening to, and your goodness, a goodness that made me feel less evil whenever I was in your presence. Raelyn, you're so good. Even when you try to be bad, it's comical."

I knew he got off at my jabs.

Fur the first time, I think I saw a smile. "I find you interesting. You're like my mother in some ways. I always admired her, and I admire you." He added gently.

My eyebrow twitched. "I'm not that good. I'm not innocent. I even ran away from you."

"You don't think I've been watching you, Rae? Like I said, I've known you for awhile."

"You don't know me as much as you think you do." I challenged, getting up from the bed and walking towards the bathroom. I heard Stefano get up and follow me. The ghost of nervousness followed me as well. I made sure to brush my teeth quick so I didn't have to be with Stefano in such a tight space too long.

He was looking at me with this weird look in his eyes.

I noticed my reflection in the body mirror and stopped to look at myself. I expected by this time in my marriage, I'd be looking at least half dead, and disturbed, but I look just as good on my best day.

Why? After what this man has done to me...

Stefano's appearance showed up in the mirror. I didn't even hear him speak up on me. He rested his chin on my shoulder before turning his face to plant kisses on my neck down to my shoulder.

I watched his actions in the mirror, my eyes fluttering closed as his advances continued.

"I want to try something, Rae...will you let me?" He whispered smoothly into my ear. I felt his hands grip and caress my sides and I couldn't lie and say him touching me didn't feel good. I trembled against his fingertips. "I'm not ready..." I told him again. I wish I had sounded more confident when I said that.