Chapter 14

Raelyn

I've never felt the blood in my body run as cold as it did before.

Stefano has moved our supposed engagement to an earlier date. Why would he-I stopped in my train of thought. It was that conversation we had. I knew it.

I even knew my behavior last night did nothing but make him want me even more. I saw it in those dark eyes of his. No matter what I did, his eyes would hold a glint in them every single time.

Then, that conversation we had when he pulled me from dinner. It wasn't really a conversation per say, but our exchange of words were laced in tension and cheekiness.

He loved it when I bit back at him. I knew his game.

"The engagement was set for January 30, he says the date is being brought to January 10." My father explained, meeting my eyes. "In 9 months?" I asked him incredulously. This couldn't be. I balled my fists. "That's too soon..." I tried to stay firm, but my voice only cracked. In 9 months I'd be getting engaged to a mobster.

My father deeply exhaled and shook his head. "What has to be done, has to be done. Stefano has made up his mind about you, Raelyn."

My jaw tightened as well. I felt like my parents weren't fighting for me. I felt like they were just throwing me into the wolves and expecting me to not come out unscathed. I became furious. My face was becoming hot and I was fighting back the urge to cry.

My father looked at me as if he was giving up something he didn't want to.

"So whatever Stefano says, goes, right?" I asked him, my voice wavering. My father sighed. "Raelyn, there's only so much that I can do."

"I don't understand any of this." I shook my head in despair.

"Raelyn-"
"How could you just give me up like that?"

He clenched his jaw. "I didn't give you up."

I didn't want to stand here any longer. In fact, I needed to clear my mind.

After that conversation with my father,I went over to Gigi's place. I texted her letting her know I was going to come by and she said she's home. I expected Gigi to open the door but instead, it was her mother standing in front of me. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Marino." I greeted her. She stretched her painted red lips into a smile before she spoke.

"How are you, Raelyn?" Mrs. Marino asked me, moving to the side to welcome me in. Gigi's mother is super kind and soft mannered. Sometimes it was hard to believe Gigi was her daughter. Then again, Gigi's mother was everything Gigi never wanted to be.

She's the obedient house wife, the lady with soft manners and elegance. She lives for pleasing her husband and taking care of the home. She's the typical wife in our society.

"I'm fine, thank you." I answered her. Everything looked so clean and spotless. I assumed she just finished cleaning.

"Would you like a drink?" She asked me going into the kitchen. I shook my head as if she could hear me. "No, no. I'm okay." I said over the loud noises the pots were making.

"Okay, Raelyn. Gianna is in her room."

"Thank you." I said to her before going to look for Gigi. Her room was cracked opened. I balled my fist to knock on her door but she muttered, "Don't bother."

I slipped in and walked over to her bed, plopping down on it. Gigi sat up in her bed and took the earplugs out of her ears. "What's wrong, Rae?" Gigi frowned as she examined my face. I shook my head and sighed.