03. the purple dinosaur

3 - The Purple Dinosaur

Two hours --and Niall consecutively winning every Pokemon battle-- later, he's riding a bike around the store while I try and figure out if I can get a wifi password through my stolen DS.

(We stole two 3DS's after getting in an argument over who's better at Pokemon.)

"I swear to God, it's like you don't want to leave Niall."

"I don't know, if I do," Niall shouts, zooming past me on his neon pink bike. "It's not everyday you get trapped in a store. I'm surprised we haven't fallen in love with each other yet."

"That's because we haven't played 20 Questions yet." I reply.

Can you hack a wifi password through a 3DS?

"And then what happens after they play 20 Questions?"

"Someone asks somebody if they're a virgin and then they have sex as romantically as they can on an aisle floor; midst realizing they're in love with each other."

"Oh."

"Are you a virgin?"

"No!" I exclaim. "Are you?"

"Nah," Niall replies.

I roll my eyes, feeling stupid for asking.

Of course Niall wasn't a virgin.

"Do you feel a spark yet?" I ask, drawing small circles in my wrist.

"No. You?"

"Nope."

"Good." Niall smirks. "Maybe I can date your sister."

"And drive her around in what? On your stolen neon pink Disney bike? Are you going to put her on the handle bars and drive to the supermarket for groceries?"

Niall laughs his ass off as he rides away. "I think this bike is hot!" Niall shouts at me with a grin before disappearing in aisle 9.

I shake my head and smile to myself.

"You should follow me!" Niall shouts, his voice echoing throughout the walls of the store. "Aren't you afraid of the dark?"

"No,"

"Well I am." I can almost hear the smirk in Niall's voice.

"Is that why you're riding around on a neon pink safety bike?"

I can hear Niall laugh again before he says, "You should talk more often. You're a funny guy, Harry."

I smile to himself.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" I ask, walking towards the aisle Niall was pedalling in.

"You just did."

"Can I ask you another one?" I stands in front of Niall's bike.

"Well, you just did again-" Niall stops mid-sentence noticing the unimpressed look on my face. "Shoot it."

"Will we still talk after we get out of here?" My voice is as quiet as when we first met. "Or will we bid our goodbyes, call it a day, and never talk to each other again."

"I'd be willing to talk to you." Niall says softly. "I need somebody's day to make better."

"Aren't you just a ray of sunshine, Niall Horan."

"You remembered my last name!" Niall exclaims.

"Of course."

I always found myself remembering the smaller things, like first names and favourite colours and the words to songs; but I could never remember important things, like to lock the door to my house.

"I remembered yours too, Harry Styles. You sound like that hot movie star you see in all those cheesy movies." Niall chuckles and I laugh.

"I do not."

"Yeah you do," Niall laughs harder. "Like in Twilight or something!"

"Shut up." I blush and Niall dies down a bit.

"Would you?" Niall asks, stopping us from falling into an awkward silence.

"Would I what?"

"Stay in contact with me?"

"Yeah, you're the first new person I've talked to in a while." I bite my lip. "Plus we all need a Barney the purple dinosaur in our lives."

"Don't call me that again," Niall whines, standing up to make himself seem more intimidating.

It wasn't working.

"Barney the purple-"

"I love you! Play with me?" A high-pitched voice asks.

We both turn to find the source of the noise; a yellow Furby.

"Crap, that's terrifying." Niall chuckles, picking it up.

I instantly let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding-- Maybe my inner conscious thought it was a killer.

(But what kind of killer would say he loved me?)

"That scared the shit out of me." I exhale, running a hand through my hair.

Niall laughs and tosses the toy over the shelf, into the next aisle over.

"What the hell!" I exclaim.

"I haven't played football in a while." Niall replies, talking to himself.

"You are..." I can't even finish my sentence.

Niall was just something else.

"Special? I know." Niall flashes me a toothy grin, and stuffs his hands in his pocket.

--------------------
------------
------

"Is it crazy to think that I wouldn't know you if I hadn't dyed my hair lilac?" Niall says, rolling on his bed to face me an hour later.

Not his actual bed though, obviously. He had dragged me into the home and furniture corner of the store and found the mattresses on display to look quite, appealing.

I did too.

"It is crazy." I reply, tracing the patterns in the mattress.

"And eventually, somebody's going to come in here and see the mess we made and stuff us in jail."

I laugh.

"And if we're in jail then we might end up cell mates, so you'll never escape me."

"That's lovely." I murmur, resting my head on the pillow. "Wouldn't be anywhere without my Ponyboy."

"Same to you, JohnnyCake."

•••

A/N: at last minute i decided i wanted to update this too so ayyyeeee

all these weird guys are crushing on me and it's making me uncomfortable um

vote • comment •follow • share