Chapter 34

My head was pounding and my stomach felt queasy. I felt my stomach lurch so I ran to the bathroom and threw up what little I had eaten. I had only felt like this once and that was the night I went out with Jay. Jay… Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! What I had done came back to me and I groaned as I thought about how I had kissed him and nearly had sex with him. Luckily he was a gentleman and a great person so he stopped me before I made the biggest mistake of my life. I remembered what he had said to me after he stopped me. He was falling in love with me. My eyes were closed but I heard what he said. I didn’t know what to do about it. Of course I felt something for him but come on I had just lost the love of my life and right before that broken up with his step-brother. It wasn’t right to just jump into a relationship, I would feel like a sl*g if I did and I still needed time to let my wounds heal from the loss of Kyle. My mouth smelt like sick so I brushed and used mouthwash to make sure the smell would be gone. I hopped into the shower and changed into denim cut-offs and a striped crop top. I walked out of the bedroom and noticed the girls were all asleep. I checked my iPhone and realised it was 21:00pm and it was Saturday. F*ck, I had slept all day today and yesterday. I’m guessing the lack of sleep I had been getting all piled up. Saturday – that meant it was my last night in Florida. I pulled on ankle socks and grey plimsolls and headed for the place I came on my first night here.

I plopped myself onto the hard floor, pulling off my socks and shoes I dipped my feet into the pool. I leaned back and started splashing the warm water with my feet. It was nice and peaceful and for the first time in days I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t feel upset or angry, just neutral.  I closed my eyes and listened to the silence.  I felt someone sitting next to me, even without opening my eyes I knew it was Jay. I could smell the sweet aroma coming off of him. A citrus scent wafted up my nostrils as he scooted closer to me.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

I opened my eyes and gave him a confused look.

“Sorry for what?”

“For kissing you, and letting it get as far as it went.”

I gave Jay a small smile.

“Jay, any other guy would’ve let me go all the way. But you actually stopped me because you’re a decent guy.”

We didn’t say anything for a few moments, we just sat in comfortable silence. Out of the blue he put his arm around my shoulder and I rested my head on his shoulder.

“I heard what you said.” I finally said, breaking the silence.

“What did I say?” He asked.

“You said that you were falling in love with me.” I whispered.

I felt his heart jump for a moment before the pace quickened.

“You heard that.” He stated.

“Yup.”

“Sh*t you heard that.”

“I think we already established the fact that I heard it.” I joked, trying to lighten the mood. I didn’t want to make him feel uncomfortable.

He pulled his arm away from my shoulders and sat facing me, with his arm resting on his right knee.

“Yeah, about that…I didn’t expect to tell you when you were drunk. I was expecting like a big dramatic scene when you’re boarding the plane and I shout “I love you” and you come running into my arms or something.” Jay rambled on.  

I chuckled at how dorky he was being.

“On a serious note, I do mean it. I’ve never felt this way about any girl before, and from the moment I saw you I wanted you to be mine. I know you love Kyle, honestly I know that but just tell me if you see anything in the future for us because I gotta know if I have to try to stop loving you.”