Chapter 22

Friday morning and I bet I was the happiest person alive! The date with Caleb had gone amazing and was incredible. It was hard to believe I was the girl dating that wonderful guy. Well I couldn't wait to see what today had in store for me. My eyes opened to reveal a nervous looking Bonnie sitting on the floor, leaning against her bed and biting on her nails. Lexi and Priya were still fast asleep so I tiptoed over to her and sat in the same position as her. 

"What's up Bon?" I asked her.

She jumped as if she didn't see me there. Buzz! Buzz! I looked down and saw her phone vibrating and in the middle of screen it said "New Message - Jay." She didn't move a muscle so I picked up the phone and read the message.  

Jay : "I think you should tell your friend's about how your feeling."

Me : "I will."

Jay : "If you ever need to talk, I'm here. I won't judge."

Their conversation worried me. 

"What is Jay talking about Bonnie? What's wrong?" I asked again.

"Promise me you won't judge me." Bonnie said sounding scared.

"I will never judge you Bonnie. You can tell me anything." I replied softly.

"Well the thing is...I'm not into Jay. I mean he is hot and a nice person but I'm not into him - at all." Bonnie told me.

"Bonnie babe...that's fine." I mumbled confused.

"No, no it's not fine because I'm not into any guys. Instead I walk around thinking about how I'm in love with my next door neighbour." Bonnie admitted. 

Now that may sound perfectly normal but it was a huge shock to me. I've been to Bonnie's house and the family in the house next door to her only had one child. Her name was Sasha.

"I'm a lesbian Nicky." Bonnie revealed. 

I sat frozen. I knew my eyes were wide and my mouth slightly open but this was such a massive revelation. My best friend is a lesbian. I knew Bonnie and Sasha were close but I didn't ever suspect Bonnie felt anything for her. I didn't know what to do or say. But me being the stupid person I am did not realise how much my initial reaction would affect Bonnie because tears streamed down her face and she started shaking. I didn't think about how I'd gotten changed in front of her before or how she had been in relationship's with boys. I just pulled her close to me and squeezed her as tight as I could.

"I'm a freak. It's unnatural to have feelings for another person of same sex." Bonnie expressed.

I pushed her away, put my hands on both of her shoulders and looked into her eyes.

"No. You can't help how you feel. You are born like this and there is nothing wrong with being gay. Don't listen to anybody else, your sexuality does not define who you are. Your an amazing person and you are my best friend and I'll stick by you through whatever." I demanded.

Her shoulders relaxed and her lips turned into a soft smile. 

"We are here for you as well." Lexi said.

"Totally." Priya added.

I didn't realise they were awake but they must have heard everything as they came and gave Bonnie a hug. 

"So how long have you felt this way about Sasha?"  Priya asked. 

"Since I was thirteen." Bonnie answered. 

"Does she know?" Lexi questioned.

"Yeah, I told her when I was fifteen and she said she felt the same way. But we are both confused about what to do. She's kissed me once, just to test it out and well we both liked it." Bonnie blushed.