Chapter twenty

Not only the humans heard the bells ringing, but the underwater world did, too. The five children looked up, Azazel and Asmodeus behind them. Each of them knew what it meant, each of them was worried, very worried about Magnus. Maybe he succeeded, they had hope. It was little, but they had hope.

Catarina swam upwards, she wanted to know if her family could celebrate or not. She appeared over the water and swam as close to the beach as possible without being seen by any human. She listened and listened and hoped for a result until an elderly woman talked to an elderly man - she guessed they were married - about how excited she was to see the bride's dress.

Her words were enough for Catarina to shriek, followed by a quick move of her hands to cover her mouth. “Oh no.. Magnus.. brother..”, she whispered and looked down. It took her about half an hour to collect herself before she disappeared and swam back to her home. While realizing what this marriage meant, an idea crossed her mind and she was determined enough to try it.

“Brothers! Sisters!”, she screamed and waited for her siblings to come out of their rooms. “Why did you call?”, Anne asked. “Where have you been?”, Malcolm asked. “I have listened to a humans words and she told his husband a little about the upcoming marriage..”, she looked down at the sand. She would have cried if she could. “Is it Magnus, Catarina, is it him?”, Ragnor asked. She shook her head slowly, making her siblings looking down, too.

“But I got an idea. I know how to bring him back to us!” “Tell us! Please..”, Anne whispered. “We need to visit the sea witch. Who will come with me?” They looked at each other and then back at Catarina. Her face told them she was dead serious. “All of you will go”, Ragnor said, “the more, the saver it is.” “What about you?” “I will stay with father and our uncle and tell them what you told us. They deserve to know.” Catarina agreed, “then do not let us waste any more time.”