Chapter two

Then finally, all the years have passed and Magnus turned fifteen, too. When he started his journey to the human world, he didn't know how much he would see. After his head appeared above the water, he searched after a rock near the civilization where he could sit down and watch humans doing human things. He saw them eating very strange things, doing one and the same thing for hours and he saw ships filled with said species.

It was magical but the best things of all was seeing the sunset the way humans could see it. It was very different under water. The light was different and the gleam, too. The colors weren't as pure as now. Sometimes Magnus was awake in his room and could only see blurred, reddish-orange colors which were followed by total darkness.

Suddenly he saw a ship and it didn't took him long to notice a boy sitting in his cabin. Magnus could see him from the window and that's what he did for an unknown time. He slowly noticed the deep hazel eyes and guessed the boy wasn't older than sixteen. It seemed it was his birthday because when he walked out of his cabin, he saw his sailors dancing and everyone seemed to have fun. They even presented him something round and small. He guessed it was this thing humans called cake.

A memory of Azazel telling him and his siblings about the way humans celebrate their birthdays flashed in front of his eyes. Even if Magnus didn't take part on the celebration, he still made this to the most beautiful thing he ever saw. He made the guy to the most beautiful human he ever saw. And he ever will see. The boy with the hazel eyes clearly enjoyed the celebration, Magnus watched him tasting the cake and laughing and talking all the time. Oh how much he wished to be a sailor in this moment. How much he wanted to dance with the boy, being able to gaze into these hazel eyes.

The sky darkened and Magnus still watched the beautiful boy. The celebration has already come to its end and the boy was in his cabin again. Only a couple of moments later, the peaceful atmosphere was gone.

Suddenly the ship started to move to the sides a little faster, clouds were covering the sky and it started to rain. Magnus was sure he saw a lightning and heard the thunder growling. More and more worry filled his mind about the crew since the ship dived between the waves faster and faster. A few moments later, the ship layed over on her side and planks fell into the water and Magnus had to be careful not to be hit by any planks or other things that were falling down from the great ship.

The ship darkened, all the beautiful lights were out, now, and Magnus searched with his eyes after the boy all over the ship. At least over the things he saw from his rock. The humans - who didn't fall into the water - searched after the young boy, too and Magnus was even more worried. Then all of the sudden the ship was part in half and one half sank into the deep ocean, and with it the boy. 'No', thought Magnus, 'not him.' He dived to him as fast as he could, not daring to leave a gaze from him.

When Magnus finally reached for his body, he pressed it against his own with his whole force, noticing his eyes were closed. Two seconds later, Magnus held the boys head above the water, making sure he could breath. But the merman didn't plan to leave him that soon, he held the boys body in his arms and let himself be drifted away with the waves. He could have never imagined being so close to him. Carrying him in his arms. Saving him from death. And yet there he was. The merman who slowly, very slowly developed feelings for a human.