Chapter nineteen

//short information on this point. I use 》》 and 《《 to show flashbacks.

It was heaven; but where heaven was, there was hell, and hell broke out when Alexander pulled away. Slowly and yet fast. He froze when their faces were several centimetres away, eyes gazing into each other. “I am.. why.. uhm.. ”, the Prince forgot to speak, mumbling a few words without any connection to each other.

“You do love me, don't you?” Magnus' eyes widened, how did he find out? He guessed he will never know. As an answer, he nodded a few times, waiting for a - hopefully positive - reaction. “Magnus...”, Alexander swallowed, “I can't.” His eyes widened again, his mouth formed an ‘Oh.’ The Prince took a few steps back and Magnus could swear he saw a tear rolling down his face. “I am truly sorry, I can't. I have to marry Lydia.”

Then he watched him running back into the castle, leaving Magnus alone on the beach. With Alexander disappearing, his chance for them being together and him getting a soul vanished. Was it wrong? Was it the worst decision ever? Was it ever wrong to even think about him having a chance? Magnus' mind freaked out, glancing shortly at the ocean before turning his face and walking back home.

He looked down all the time, ignoring everyone including Alexander as he walked past him. His heart broke on this day. When he was about to close the door, someone stopped him from doing so and when he turned around, he eyed Alexander. “Magnus..” Magnus ran to his table, taking his blackboard to write something down. ‘If you want me to leave, so will I do immediately. I am sorry for touching you.’

“No! Please stay”, he replied, making Magnus looking confused, “I want you to join the marriage tomorrow. I might don't love her so much but I don't want you not to have you there.” He erased the words. ‘Are you telling the truth?’ Alexander nodded, no single sign of doubt in his face. ‘I will consider it’, he wrote down next and watched Alexander leave the room with a tiny smile. He knew what he needed to answer to make him leave the room to be alone.

Magnus sat down on his bed and tried to relive the row of events. He had so much hope in this kiss, so much he believed in this seconds, but it seemed to be impossible to end an engagement. Alec even said he wouldn't love her that much, couldn't he just tell his father? Probably not, the human world with its rulers were different than his own father in his underwater castle.

When he thought about the way Alexander looked at him, he could tell there was something special in his eyes. Something hidden behind the hazel. Then Magnus looked down at his legs, remembering the words of the sea witch.

》》“You will have time for the human boy to fall in love with you until the first day after his marriage. If it is not you who he marries, then so will you lose your life and there will be no second chance. You will win the love of a human or lose it all.”《《

‘No second chance’, he thought, ‘lose it all.’ It sounded like a nightmare now that he knew his fate, his predictable fate. Magnus took a deep breath, his eyes shut. The next things that drifted through his mind was Alexander wanting to see him during their marriage. Why did he want to see him? He thought the Prince wanted him to leave, to never see him again but it was not true and Magnus didn't like not knowing the reason.

The one thing he exluded from the first moment was love. Magnus didn't think Alexander would love him, at least not the way he did. And how could he? He was only some random boy he found on the beach but then again Lydia found him, too, and they were engaged. His thoughts kept him awake for hours until he fell asleep.

In the next morning, he was woken up by the sound of the bells, ringing and reminding everyone the marriage was today. He rubbed his eyes and stood up. After taking a few deep breaths, he opened his closet and looked for something to wear.