35. Chuunin Exam - Shi no Mori: Passing the 2nd Exam

After being attacked by the sound nins, team 7 decided to wait for the other groups at 10 km radius away from the central tower. As they were tracking the tower, Kabuto approached them.

-Hikaru's P.O.V-

Kabuto? What is he doing here? He is one of the Ne member, isn't he? I nudged Kakashi and pointed at Kabuto. We communicated through handsigns, so that we won't give away our location to the enemies.

'Yes, I think he is a Ne member' Kakashi signed. 'But I heard that he has been MIA for a while now' he added.

'I feel Orochimaru's presence coming from him' I signed.

'Are you just being paranoid?' he asked

'No! I'm not. I really feel it! My curse mark throb slightly' I told him. Kakashi stayed quiet as he observed Kabuto.

'Move out. He's moving' Kakashi commanded. I silently followed his instruction as we kept low to follow Kabuto and team 7.

---

Normal P.O.V

Team 7 encountered ninjas from Amegakure. The ninjas used genjutsu to fool them. However, thanks to Sakura who noticed the genjutsu, Sasuke who used his sharingan to break it and instead, trapping the enemies into his genjutsu, as well as Naruto, who used his kage bunshin to deceive the Ame nins, they were able to beat the nins without much efforts, even though Kabuto was wounded slightly. They retrieved the heaven scroll from the Ame nins.

'Did you feel KI leaking out from him?' Hikaru signed to Kakashi, as she felt a tense atmosphere when Kabuto seemed to glare at the Ame nins who were going to attack him. Kakashi just nodded in response, not saying anything. He seemed to be thinking hard. Hikaru wanted to ask what he was thinking, but they could not risk making any sound that would give away their position. They two of them watched silently as Kabuto was re-united with his team and went to a separate direction from team 7. Hikaru signaled Kakashi to go ahead to go to the battle hall as she wanted to stay around for a bit. Kakashi shot her a worried and warning look before he left, silently telling her to be careful.

---

Hikaru activated her byakugan and looked inside the room where Kabuto had entered. She was not surprised to see him exchanging words with Orochimaru. He also passed a piece of card to Orochimaru. Before any of them made any move to exit the room, Hikaru quickly used the hiraishin, rushing to where team 7 is.

She slipped into the room through the door quietly, unnoticed by the genins. Iruka noticed her, as he was facing the door.

"... I want all of you to challenge the next step with the Chuunin's motto in mind" Iruka said, finally ending his inspirational speech.

"HELL YEAH! we did it!!!" Naruto exclaimed loudly. Iruka smiled, but it was strained.

"I'm glad that you made it. But don't over do it for the next exam. I'm especially worried for you, Naruto" Iruka said softly.

"Iruka-sensei, from the moment I receive it from you, I'm no longer an academy student" Naruto said just as softly. He then pointed at his hitai-ate. "The fact that I was given this showed that I've grown, and ready for bigger challenges" Naruto said confidently. "I may still have my immature quality, but I'm no longer the kid you need to keep your eyes on his every moments" Naruto said gently to Iruka. "I'm a ninja now, dattebayo!" Naruto said firmly and full of determination. Iruka's eyes soften.

"He's right, Iruka-san" Hikaru said as she announced her presence to the genins. "He had grown a long way since he was in the academy. Not just him, but everyone. Even Sakura can now protect her teammates" she said as she smiled and sent Sakura a wink. Sakura blushed at the compliment. "If they are not ready, neither me or Kakashi would recommend them for the exam. Heck, we wouldn't even tell them about it, since you know just how stubborn they are" Hikaru said with a smile, earning a chuckle from Iruka and half-glares from the genins.

"You are right. They're no longer academy students" Iruka said with a proud smile. "Now go for your next exam. You don't have that much time left to get there" Iruka said as he handed Sasuke a piece of paper containing a map to guide them to go to the battle hall from the shi no mori.

"You are right, Hikaru-chan. I should not have doubted your judgment. I, of all people should now that" Iruka said sheepishly. Hikaru smiled at him.

"It's fine, Iruka-san. You're just worried. I'm grateful that you care for Naruto. You are one of the few people that helped Naruto to go through hell and back in my absence" Hikaru said with a smile. Iruka smiled, a pink blush painting his cheeks due to the compliment.

"It's hard not to care for him" Iruka said with a chuckle. Hikaru chuckled as well. "Anyway, I can never thank you enough. I can be right here thanks to you" Iruka said as he smiled at Hikaru.

"All I did was encouraging you. You worked hard for where you are now" Hikaru said as she smiled back. "Let's go now. We might reach there later than Kashi-nii if we linger here" She said, cracking a joke. Iruka laughed at the comment.

"Let's go then" he said as both of them took off towards the battle hall.

---

A/N: I know that it's short, ya-da ya-da. :P the Chuunin exam arc is a huge arc! I'll be writing a lot about it. :D. I'll try to make it as cannon as possible, even though I know that at the end, my 'minor' changes would actually turn into a 'major' changes :P

So, how many are you are curious about Iruka and Hikaru's convo? Could they actually shared a past? Does Kakashi know? Mwahaha! for those who hasn't noticed, too bad you do now! I'm evil :3. And yes, my dearest, loveliest curious readers, it has something to do with my story plot! Mwahaha. *spoiler alert*.

Naruto: hey! you shouldn't give spoilers, tebayo!

Sakura: I agree with Naruto this time, shanaro!!!

Kakashi: -shakes head- spoilers are bad...

Sasuke: -throw kunai- hn.

Me: gomen! gomen! I just cant resist! and I'm evil, remember? -smirks- :D