28. Konoha's Elders' Conspiracy

Hikaru woke up at 6. 'I'm still tired', she thought. She was not able to sleep last night. All she could think about was Kakashi, the dance and how good it felt to be embraced by him. She sighed and got dressed. She left a memo telling Naruto and Sasuke to go for practice on their own and stick it to the refrigerator.

She arrived early and helped the current ANBU captain whom she did not recognize to setting up the chairs for the meeting. Kakashi then popped up not long after Hikaru did. "Need help?" he asked.

"Nope. All set" Hikaru replied.

"Whoa! Kakashi-senpai is early?" the ANBU said.

"Is my reputation really that bad?" Kakashi asked while giving a super cute puppy eyes.

"No.." the ANBU said, somewhat terrified, or maybe in this case shocked.

"I see that new members are not early" a voice suddenly said. The ANBU knelt down and bowed.

"Lord Hokage" she said.

"Now, now. There's no need to be so formal. Anyway, since the three of you are early, let's get to know one another" the Hokage said.

"Hikaru" Hikaru introduced herself.

"Amaya" the ANBU replied.

"Code?" Hikaru asked. Amaya stayed stiff for a while, Hikaru presumed her to be surprised.

"She was in ANBU" Kakashi said.

"Oh.." she replied.

"Hikaru Namikaze" Hikaru repeated her name, this time, adding her last name. Amaya gasped in surprise.

"Blue Rose?" she asked.

"That's me" Hikaru said with a smile.

"Urm.. there's a rumor in the ANBU that you left the village because you were an accessory that helped Itachi Uchiha massacred his clan" she said. "Sorry" she quickly added, realizing what she said.

"Don't be. It was partially my fault" Hikaru said as she walked away, taking a seat at the back of the room. 'Yes, It was partially my fault. I failed to stop Itachi. I failed to persuade the councilors to conduct a talk with father..', Hikaru thought as she sat down quietly.

Kakashi's P.O.V

"Urm.. there's a rumor in the ANBU that you left the village because you were an accessory that helped Itachi Uchiha massacred his clan" Amaya said. I glared at her. Hikaru blamed herself for the massacre. That's the reason she left. If she had stayed, she would be constantly reminded of her failure, and she did not have the strength and courage to face Sasuke. She felt that it was her fault that Sasuke lost everything he had - family, happiness, peace, normal childhood. She felt that she was the one taking it all away from him. Hikaru replied,

".. It was partially my fault". I could feel that the hatred she had towards herself began to resurface. She then sat at the corner of the room, definitely feeling guilty, depressed and frustrated. Suddenly, the Hokage spoke,

"What happened is not your fault, Hikaru. You are not responsible for the incident". Well, the Hokage understood how Hikaru felt, that's why he allowed Hikaru to go out of the village and assessed her special missions such as information gathering and scouting. I then sat next to Hikaru and patted her head lightly.

"Not your fault" I whispered. She then smiled at me. She would still feel guilty no matter how others would assure her that she was not at fault. Suddenly, the room was flooded with ninjas, mostly ANBU members. The meeting began.