6. The Uchiha Massacre

As Hikaru dragged her feet towards the Uchiha residential area, Kakashi appeared beside her. He placed his hand on her shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. She placed her hand on top of his and gave it a gentle squeeze, appreciating his comforting gesture. They both know how difficult it was for her to even look at the gate of the residential entrance after the incident, let alone setting a foot on the compound. Hikaru took a sharp intake of breath and blew it out in a heavy sigh as she continued trudging into her destination with Kakashi.

She stopped walking as soon as she could see the grand-looking gate which marked the compound’s entrance. ‘Uchiha’s Residential Compound’ was carved neatly and beautifully on an arc which stood proudly above the massive entrance gate. Stone walls which marked the perimeter of the housing compound were joined to the gate. She stood a good few yards away before the entrance. The scene of that fateful night resurfaced from her deeply buried memory, replaying itself in her head again for the zillionth time. She closed her eyes briefly and willed herself not to break down, as not only did the memory had sprung back, but also her feelings that she had tried so badly to lock away in the depths of her mind. She clenched her fist tightly as she started feeling the same way she did that night, angry, hurt, frustrated and the feeling she hated the most but had unfortunately dominated all the others – helplessness. She hated being helpless. And she had taken the blame for what had happened that night. It happened because she was weak and helpless - she was not able to stop her little brother from carrying the killing spree. Anger started to boil in her veins. She was not solely to be blamed for what had happened. There are people who have a larger share of the blame, and they will have to pay for it. She would personally ensure that they pay. She had sworn that one day, she would definitely kill Danzo and the two councillors - Homura and Koharu. She would do anything to keep her oath and exact her revenge.

---

*Flashback*

Hikaru, Kakashi and Itachi had risen through the ranks in ANBU soon after they had joined the force. The third Hokage had even chosen Hikaru to be the captain at the age of twelve, two years after she had joined in.

The Uchiha clan’s residential area had been moved to the outskirts of Konoha due to the kyuubi incident eight years back. The masked man who attacked Kushina had been deduced to be a member of the Uchiha clan, as he possessed the sharingan. However, Hikaru knew that even if he was an Uchiha, he was not from Konoha. His chakra felt different, although some traits are painfully familiar. She had never sensed any chakras which was exactly the same as the masked man’s. She had assumed that the chakra felt familiar because of the sharingan. He also had a special sharingan, the mangekyo sharingan. She knew that none of the Uchiha in Konoha had awakened the mangekyo sharingan at the time. Right now, she and Shisui was the only ones. He had awoken his during a mission, and hers awaken when the kyuubi’s chakra was sealed inside of her.

The Uchiha had felt the discrimination of the village higher-ups against them. They could not accept it. As a result, they had decided to carry out a coup d'état against Konoha to show people that Konoha was nothing without the Uchiha. The Uchiha assigned Itachi as an agent to leak the information from the village to them. Hikaru, on the other hand, was not trusted as much as Itachi by the Uchiha, as she had been adopted by the fourth since she was two. The Uchiha knew that she would take the village's side due to her loyalty. However, Itachi was a double agent and his loyalty lies with the village. He leaked the information about Uchiha's coup preparations to Konoha's side. The third had wanted to conduct a peaceful talk and discussion with the Uchiha, but Danzo and the councillors had vetoed to oppose his idea. Instead, Danzo and the councillors had ordered Itachi to commit the Uchiha clan's massacre.

---

“Namikaze-taicho, Hatake-san and Uchiha-san, please report to the Hokage's office now" an ANBU messenger announced shortly. The three of them immediately hurried to go to the office. As they entered the Hokage’s workplace, they found Danzo and the two councillors sitting on the chairs around the Hokage's working desk.