1. Past Tragedy

Chapter 1, Past Tragedy

Hikaru leapt from trees to trees as gentle breeze blew on her light blue hair. She pondered if her decision to finally come home was the right one, but she was homesick and longed to meet those she loved again. Time had also soothe the wound in her heart . She knew that her pain will never heal, but she felt like she could finally face what she once could not bare to even glimpse. After stopping briefly to gather her thoughts, she vaulted over the treetops with renewed determination. She knew that she needed to reach Konoha fast,  before guilt and self-doubt could get the better of her and cause her to turn away once again.

From afar, her sapphire blue eyes could finally spot the massive red gate that would lead her to the village she had grown up in. She loved her village, a lot, but almost everyone who was dear to her had passed on, and sometimes, she felt as if the bitter memories the village brought completely eclipsed whatever happy memories she had. She left when the pain was too much for her to bear.

As she was approaching her destination, the memories that she had tried so hard to suppress began to resurface. Her step faltered, causing her to lose her footing. She was saved from the cold, hard ground by her quick reflex. As she landed in a crouch, flashes of painful memories hit her all at once. She began to topple over, her left hand shooting out to prevent her face from smacking into the grass. She inhaled sharply as her other hand went to where her heart was, clutching at it tightly.

The death of her cousin, Obito, her best friend, Rin and her beloved sensei, as well as adopted father, the 4th Hokage - Minato Namikaze were replaying consecutively in her mind. Before she could banish the depressing memories, yet another horrid memory came to play itself on her traitorous brain - the night her clan was wiped out of existence by her little brother, Itachi. The memories were still very fresh and vivid in her mind, despite the years that had passed since the episodes.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm herself. She braced herself to slowly get up, limbs still shaking from the memory surges. She trudged ever so slowly towards the gate, while trying her best to ease and empty her mind. Her brain refused to cooperate however, as the painful memories did not stop replaying. She soon began to find herself breaking down, and finally figured that no matter how hard she tried, she could no longer keep her emotions in check. All the walls that she had spent years building had finally come crashing down.

At the moment, the events that occurred the day Obito was killed were the clearest, and most painful of all the memories that had escaped the deepest, darkest part of her mind she had carefully locked away.

—-

*Flashback*

"Obito! Hikaru! Don't go after them," Kakashi commanded, after Rin was taken by the Iwa shinobis.

"What? What are you saying? Don't you get it?!" Obito growled as he felt extremely frustrated that the girl he loved was taken away, her fate unknown.

"Kakashi-niisan..?" Hikaru questioned his decision.

"The three of us will resume the mission," Kakashi commanded sternly, not a trace of concern was detected on his voice.

"Rin.. What about Rin? What about her safety?" Obito growled at Kakashi angrily.

"The more important thing is to continue the mission. If the enemies figured out our aim, it will be harder to carry on with the mission."