Chapter Sixty-One -- Daddy's Wrath

"God... it's me... Kaila. I know we haven't spoken in a while and I know you're not happy with the fact that I only come to you when my life goes wrong.

"I'm sorry, God. Please, don't take that out on Ethic. I need him. I know what I did was wrong, and I know Ms. Mary is disappointed in the way I've been treating her son. But I love him, God. I really do, and if you spare his life, I promise I'll prove it to you... and him.

"I know we're both living sinful lives that goes against your word. I've made many mistakes. God, you know I'm not perfect, but I plan to do better. Grandma used to tell me, all I needed was Your guidance. I believe her. I need you to keep my family together. I'm putting my trust in You."

I ended the prayer I said in my head and lifted my head from Ethic's bedside before resting both of my hands on his warm right one. I wasn't perfect at praying like I remember my grandma used to be, but something was better than nothing. God was the only one who could pull Ethic out of his coma.

I felt somebody put their hand on my shoulder before patting it in the same place softly.

"Don't blame yourself, Kaila. It was an accident," some man said. Who ever the deep voice belonged to was obviously going along with the lie I've told everybody.

I looked over my shoulder, tired of playing the silent guessing game in my head.

It was David, Ethic's dad.

"Nah, it wasn't no goddamn accident," my father said, coming into the room with Octavia hot on his heels. His voice was harsh and filled with anger.

My eyes shot to him. Did he know about me and Trevon?

Octavia looked between me and her fiance before speaking up, "What do you mean, honey? Kaila clearly told us it was an accident and she was there with him, right Kaila?"

I swallowed hard before nodding my head 'yes'.

Daddy began walking over to where I was seated.

Slowly.

I gripped Ethic's limp hand tighter, wishing he would wake the hell up and save me from my dad's wrath.

I knew it was coming.

"Daddy--"

SMACK!

I fell out of the cheap hospital chair onto the cold tiled floor. Tears immediately began to escape my eyes as I put my hand on the burning sensation.

I can't believe he hit me. He hit me so hard my head was starting to pound and I could've sworn I seen stars.

"Kai!" Octavia yelled in shock.

David stood in the corner with shock written all over his face too. His ass probably was more afraid than me.

"Get yo' ass up! Didn't I fucking warn you, Kaila? Huh? You thought I wouldn't find out? Don't you know nothing's a secret in the streets? You can't keep shit from me!"

Daddy reached down and snatched me up from the floor by my Chanel shirt, ripping it right down the middle.

"You see, I'an gon' shot myself. That's some hoe shit--"

"Hey! That's my son you're talking about," David cut in in his professional voice.

Daddy loosened his grip on me and turned around to face David. "Nigga, I don't giv'a fuck! You should've been there to raise your son. Maybe he would've turned out to be a square like yo' ass and he wouldn't even be in this situation right now."

David clenched his jaw and look away, not saying a word.

Daddy turned back to me, tightening his grip again. "You betrayed both of us! You 'round here sleeping with the fucking enemy while he's laughing behind your back! I taught you better than this shit."

He threw me down on the bed, making me land on top of Ethic. My body shook as I sobbed and he continued his yelling.

"You better be glad you're my daughter. I would've killed a bitch in the streets for pulling some foul-ass shit like this!"

I sat up from the bed with tears mixed with snot all over my face.

"Daddy, I'm sorry! It was a mistake! I'm done, that's it. I promise I won't see or talk to him again. I give you my word, Daddy," I sobbed to him.

Before I knew it he wrapped his big, beefy hand around my neck with a tight grip. So tight, I couldn't breathe. Every time I tried to gasp, his hold only got tighter. I reached up and began clawing at his hands.

Oh, my God. He's going to kill me!

"I know you're not going to see him again 'cause the li'l nigga already dead, and this time you or nobody else can't save 'em."

I closed my eyes as I started to see colors flash before me. This must be what it feels like to have your life flash before your eyes before you die. Damn, where's the fucking security when you need them?

Right before I gave my last breath, David came running over to my dad and grabbed the hand he was choking--well killing me with.

"Kai, she's fading. Loosen your grip or I'm calling the cops," David told him boldly.

This seemed to snap my dad back to reality because he forcibly let my neck go.

I fell on the bed, landing on Ethic's legs. I caressed my neck as I coughed and gasped for air uncontrollably.

Octavia came over and stood by Daddy. "Let's just leave, baby," she said soothingly while gently pulling him towards the exit of the room.

He listened to Octavia and began walking out of the door behind her.

He stopped in his tracks before leaving completely. "Word of advice: stay the fuck away from me, Kaila. I mean 'dat shit."