Chapter Forthy-Four -- Nobody's Perfect

Coming back to my hometown was something I wasn't planning on doing again anytime soon, but I want to be here for Ethic and Ms. Mary. So when my dad tried to convince me to stay, I told him it wasn't an option.

I reached over and grabbed Ethic's hand while keeping my other hand on the wheel of the car. We was on the way to the hospital. I didn't say anything because I honestly didn't know what to say and I knew he was tired of my it'll be okay's.

I looked down at his phone in his lap that has been vibrating nonstop since we got off the jet, even though he hasn't answered not one call.

"Why you won't just turn it off?" I asked him.

"Because I don't want to turn it off, Kaila. What? Is the phone bothering you or some shit?"

I let go of his hand and literally bit my tongue to stop myself from going off on his ass.

He's just hurt, he doesn't mean it, I told myself over and over again in my head.

He exhaled and put his face in his hands. "I'm sorry, that---"

"It's okay, I understand," I told him gently, cutting him off. I turned the rent-a-car into the hospital's parking lot, looking for a parking space.

"There's one by the blue Charger," he said pointing to the empty space.

I nodded and parked the car. He wasted no time getting out, opening the door before I even came to a complete stop.

"I'll meet you in, bae," he said before shutting the door.

I shrugged, parked, got my purse, and got out of the car. I saw Ethic's back rush into the building, while I was a few feet behind. I guess I move to slow for him now that I'm pregnant.

I walked into the hospital and instantly got reminded why I hate hospitals so much. The walls was a pale green color and the smell of sickness flooded my nose. Everything looked dead.

"Do it for Ms. Mary," the voice in my head told me.

I swallowed and went up to the desk where an young lady was sitting on the phone. Ethic had to be on the way to the room now, or already there and since I had no idea which room she was in, I had to ask.

"Excuse me, I'm looking--"

The woman threw her hand up, silencing me. She went back to her phone conversation. It didn't even sound hospital related! Oh, no this bitch didn't. I snatched the phone from her hand and hung it up, not caring that security was standing a few feet away. She gasped and looked up at me in shock.

"Now, I'm going to try to ask you this again. I'm looking for Ms. Mary Davis' room, can you please tell me where it is?" I asked her politely.

The woman rolled her eyes before saying, "Room: 206."

I put on a fake smile and thanked her before walking away.

I turned down the hallway where her room was, and heard yelling back and forth.

Nurses and a few doctors poked their heads out of the rooms, all looking where the drama is coming from.

I shook my head, and continued to walk down the hallway. The voices began to get louder and the only thing I could think about is, if it was disturbing Ms. Mary. Who ever it is arguing, need to take that shit outside.

As I got closer to Ms. Mary's room the voices became even louder and a bit more clearer. One of the voices sounded like Ethic's. My heart began to beat faster as I now stood in front of Room: 206.

I opened the door, and sure enough the voice I heard was his.

When I walked in the room, Ethic's back was turned to me. A girl that looked to be about 18 or 20 years old was standing on the other side of Ms. Mary's bed. She was sleeping or pretending to be sleep while they shouted at each other.

"Oh, so this is Kaila?" the girl said to Ethic with tears in her eyes.

She was very pretty with long dark hair swept into a ponytail. Her body was tall and lean, reminding me of a model. Ethic turned to me, his eyes softening.

"If you two can't keep it down, I'm going to have to ask both of you to leave," a nurse said while standing in the door I've just came in.

"I was leaving anyway," the girl said while walking past me.

Once she left, Ethic sat down beside his mother's bed and put his face in his hands. I waited until the nurse shut the door before speaking.

"Ethic, who the hell was that?"

He exhaled, sat up, and pulled me onto his lap. I looked in his eyes, waiting for him to answer me.

He exhaled again and looked away. "My ex, Imani," he said.

"Ex?", I questioned more of myself than him. I tried to think of any of his past exes with the name Imani, but came up with none.

"Yeah, my ex", he said with attitude. I stood up, and he grabbed me, stopping me from moving.

"Let go of me, Ethic," I told him sternly.

"No, because I know you want more answers," he said, pulling me back onto his lap.

"I do, but that don't mean I have to be next to you to get them." I stood up again and went over to the other side of the bed.

I looked at Ms. Mary. She looked pale and twenty years older. A single tear fell down my cheek as I reached out and touched her hand.

"I wasn't expecting her to be here," Ethic said.

I rolled my teary eyes and sat down in the chair I assume Imani was sitting in.

"I asked her to leave, but when she refused..." he stopped and shrugged, "I lost it."

"Maybe she wanted to be here for Ms. Mary," I told him.

He shook his head and sat back in the chair. "Nah, she dont give a fuck about my mom. She was just here trying to get back with me."

I looked at him confused. "From a long time ago?"

"We was together when you moved to New York," he said.

Ethic stood up and came over to me before I could say anything. He reached out to grab my hand, but I quickly snatched it away.

"Don't fuckin' touch me, Ethic." He grabbed my hand again and tried to stand me up from the chair.

"Let go of me!" I yelled out. I punched and kicked him, but he still wouldn't let go.

"Stop," he said while putting his arms around me.

"Let me go, Ethic. I can't fuckin' stand you!" I said while still hitting him. But he still wouldn't let go, which only made things worst.

"Stop screaming before they put us out," he said calmly.

I squirmed in his arms until I was tired. I felt hot tears fall down my cheeks.

"She was just a bitch I fucked a couple times when you left. I don't love her, I never could love her, Kaila. That girl ain't even on my mind. Come on, ma. Don't be mad at me."

He put his forehead to mine. "You know I love you, and only you, right?"

I rolled my eyes and exhaled. "It better be only me and just me 'cause if some shit like that happen again, I'm beating somebody's ass," I told him.

He smirked and pulled me closer, kissing away my angry tears. "I know you tired of me fucking up, babe," he said in between kisses.

"Hell yeah," I agreed.

He grinned and kissed my lips. "I love you."

I put my hand up to his face. "I love you too, Ethic. But don't take it for granted."