Chapter Fourteen -- Close Call

When Ethic and I got back to his house I went straight to the guest bed room. I tied my hair up in a bun on top of my head and threw on a big long t-shirt. I couldn't wait to get in bed.

"Kaila! Come here, hurry up!"

Obviously that's Ethic since his mom is at work.

I sighed in frustration and left the room. So much for me getting in bed.

"Whaaat, Ethic?" I said a bit annoyed while walking into the living room where he was sitting.

He turned the TV up louder, ignoring me asking him what he wanted.

"Timothy Reed, a fifty-nine year old citizen, was found dead in his home today," the news caster said, "Police are saying that Reed was shot twice in the neck. No arrest has yet been made for this murder case."

I wrapped my arms around myself, all of a sudden feeling cold.

"Everybody around here knew Mr.Reed. He was a good man and never bothered anybody," some lady I never seen before said.

"I bet she didn't even know his him, just wanted to be on TV," I mumbled

I continued to watch as the news showed two pictures of Mr. Reed on the screen. Ethic turned the TV off when they switched to another story.

"Damn," was all he said.

I went over to the couch to sit by him, but before my ass could hit the couch, a loud bang came from the door.

"Police, open up!"

"Ain't that a bitch," I said underneath my breath as I watched Ethic go and open the front door.

I could see the sweat dripping from his forehead. I bet he was thinking of all the illegal shit he had in this house somewhere. I wish I could get into his mind and tell him, "Act normal, stupid."

"We're looking for a Kaila Mitchell. Is she here?" one of them said.

I watched as Ethic nod his head up and down.

I knew they wanted to come in so I grabbed Ethic's phone that was next to me and pretended to play with it since the TV was off. I know I would've looked suspicious just starring at the wall.

"Are you Kaila?" the fat one asked coming into the door.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, putting down Ethic's phone.

"I'm Detective Hill and this is my partner Detective Williams. We're here to ask you a few questions regarding your foster parent Timothy Reed's death."

"H-his death?" I stuttered stupidly, "Mr. Reed is d-dead?"

Detective Williams shook his head.

"Yes, I'm afraid so. You wasn't informed?"

I quickly switched my eyes back and forth at the men's faces. "No, no I didn't know," I said.

I immediately thought about the loss of my family. This was the only way I could get emotional.

"Oh, my God! When did this happen?" I shrieked

Both detectives took a seat across from me and pulled out a pad and a pen. Ethic sat on the side of me.

Showtime.

Detective Williams cleared his throat and said, "We found his body in the house you both was living in today. We found out a little later who he was."

"What happened to him?" I asked, wiping tears.

"The forensic report states that he was shot twice in the neck at close range."

"No, that can't be Mr. Reed. Are you sure?"

"We're positive, Ms. Mitchell."

"Oh, my God! Who could've done this to him?"

"We're hoping you can help us answer that same question," Detective Hill chimed in.

I sat there with a glum expression. Tears fell from my eyes like a running faucet as both detectives examined my body language.

About five seconds later, I covered my entire face with both of my hands while I cried uncontrollably. I knew I had to keep this act up, but in reality, I could give two fucks about Mr. Reed.

Ethic reached over and rubbed my back soothingly. "It's okay, Kaila," he said, finally going along with my act.

Detective Williams reached on the side of the TV and handed me a box of Kleenex. I took a few tissues and blew my nose dramatically.

As soon as I was done, Detective Hill threw another question at me.

"When was the last time you spoken to Timothy Reed?"

"Thursday," I told Detective Hill, "The last conversation we had was Thursday about me spending Friday and the weekend over my friend Ethic's house."

Detective Williams began scribbling in his notepad quickly, probably writing down every word I said. Detective Hill crossed his legs while I sniffed and played with the bun on top of my head.

"Did he always let you come over here?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, I stay here every Thursday. I go back home on Sunday for school Monday morning," I lied easily.

Detective Hill nodded while the other one kept taking notes. "And he was okay with that?" he asked.

"Obviously," I responded as nice as I could.

"Do you know or could think of anybody that had any kind of conflict with Timothy Reed?"

I thought about what the woman on the news said about Mr. Reed."No, nobody that I could think of. Mr. Reed usually kept to him self." I started to tear up again. "I just don't understand how someone could do this to him!"

Detective Hill reach over and patted my exposed knee in a friendly gesture.

"Don't worry, we're going to find them, Kaila." The tone of his voice was filled with sadness.

Bingo.

Both Detectives stood up at the same time. "In the meantime, if you ever have any questions or concerns or if you come up with any, and I mean any information, please contact us," Detective Williams said, passing me a card filled with phone numbers.

"Okay," I told them.

When Ethic got up to walk them out of the door, I let out a frustrated sigh.

That was close.