Chapter Forthy-Five -- Meeting and Greeting

I stayed up looking at Ethic sleeping in the chair on the other side of the bed and listening to the beeping sounds of the machines Ms. Mary was hooked up to.

I didn't know what time it was, but it I had a feeling it was late. I couldn't sleep, though. I was too busy thinking.

Ethic thinks he's off the hook, but he's not. I didn't want to start a riot while his mother is on her death bed. It's a time and place for everything.

A light knock on the door made me dismiss my thoughts and sit up straighter.

The door opened and a tall, very handsome man came into the room. He looked like an older Ethic and a older version of the man I've seen in the picture at his grandma's house.

It was his dad.

"Hello, how are you?" he greeted me in an accent I couldn't recall.

"I'm fine, are you Ethic's father?" I asked to be sure.

The man looked at a sleeping Ethic for the first time and seemed speechless. I cleared my throat, making him snap his attention back to me.

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

I put my hair behind my ear and repeated myself. "Are you his father?"

He looked at Ethic again and swallowed so hard I saw his Adam's apple move up and down. "Yes, yes I'm his father."

I smiled a little then stood up to walk over to him. I stretched out my hand for him to shake it. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Kaila, Ethic's girlfriend."

He shook my hand softly and smiled a perfect smile. "I'm David. My mother has told me so much about you."

I smiled and let go of his hand. "I hope all good things."

He nodded and put his hands in his dark jean's pockets. "All good things. She -- we can't wait to meet our grandchild," he said.

I smiled again and layed my hand on my stomach. Ethic began to stir in his sleep, making us both turn to look at him. He began to open his eyes slowly and all I could do was sigh.

Shit about to get real, real quick.