Chapter Fifty-Three -- Home, Sweet Home

"Home, sweet home!" Ethic yelled while walking through our condo door.

I was right behind him, carrying little Erik in his "manly" car seat. I'm so happy to be home, I feel like kissing the floor or better yet, clicking my heels three times.

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home," I mimicked Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz.

I heard Ethic grin as I took Erik to his yellow room. This color was defiantly changing when he's a toddler.

I layed his small body in the white designer baby bed carefully. He stirred in his sleep a bit before calming down. I felt a smile creeping onto my face as I stood looking over him. I still can't believe I have a son. I remember when I first found out I was pregnant, I was so scared and defiantly didn't want a baby. Now I couldn't imagine my life without him.

"What are you thinking about?"

I turned around, a little startled by Ethic's voice. He was standing a few inches behind me. Damn, when did he get here?

I turned back around and layed my eyes back on Erik before answering him. "I was just thinking about how lucky I am."

I felt Ethic put his arm around my waist from behind, looking over my shoulder at Erik.

"Lucky for what?" he asked nonchalantly before kissing the spot under my ear.

I felt my breath quickening, the way it did whenever he kissed me. I hope that feeling never leaves. I turned around in his arms to face him, my back leaning against Erik's baby bed.

"Lucky to have a fine-ass man that love me. Lucky that that fine-ass man gave me a precious gift I couldn't see myself living without." I smiled and kissed his soft lips.

Ethic smiled with me and I could tell I was boosting his already high ego. "I'm living good. It's only one thing I'm not so lucky about though."

Ethic leaned his body against mine, kissing my neck tenderly. I instantly felt my panties getting wet. He tried talking in between his gentle kisses. "What's... that, baby?"

I let a soft moan escape my lips as Ethic made his way to my breast, planting hickeys all over them. "I'm not engaged," I said above a whisper.

Ethic instantly stopped his sucking, making my hormones do a double take.

"Why did you stop?" My voice sounded like a little girl that couldn't have a lollipop.

"I'm not ready to get married right now, Kaila," Ethic told me with a serious expression on his face.

I felt like I've just been slapped in the face. No doubt, my feelings was hurt. Ethic stood in front of me, searching my eyes for a response. When I had none, he let me go and began walking out of the room. Of course, I followed him. As always, I found my voice after he left.

"So, I'm good enough to have your baby, but not good enough to marry?" I was on Ethic's heels as I was talking to his back.

He sighed heavily as I continued following him to the living room. I stood with my arms crossed as Ethic grabbed the TV remote from the glass coffee table. The sound of a game of football filled the room. I walked over in front of him, blocking his view from the 50 inch flat screen mounted on the wall.

"You plan on keeping me baby momma while you with wifey, huh?" I questioned him.

I know it may seem like I'm picking an argument, but I'm not. Honestly, now I just want answers.

Ethic ran his hand over his haircut, the way he always did when he was frustrated. "Move, Kaila." His voice was deep and filled with seriousness.

I felt tears forming at the bottom of my eye lids before I quickly blinked them away. "No, answer me!" I yelled, still standing my ground.

"You're going to wake Erik," he said, his voice calm but still very deep. As if he was physic, Erik's little cries could be heard on the monitor on the couch.

Ethic stood up with a mean-ass look on his face and made his way to our baby's room.

As he was gone, I went to kitchen to fix him a bottle. I know he's hungry since the last time he eaten was on the plane. Ethic came into the kitchen as soon as I was done with the bottle. He had Erik nestled in his huge arms. I went over to Erik-- his bottle in my hand.

Before I could do anything though, Ethic snatched Erik's bottle from me, checked the temp, and gently placed in his mouth. I rolled my eyes and began walking around him.

"I bet you wouldn't snatch from your wife like that," I mumbled loud enough so he could hear, just to fuck with him.

I went over to the couch and began flipping channels away from that boring-ass football game. Ethic came over minutes later, still feeding Erik. He sat down on the other couch. Far away from me.

"After I'm done feeding my son, I'm leaving"

I stopped channel surfing and looked over at Ethic. His face was solid as a rock.

"Leaving where?" I questioned him in a soft tone. Damn, what have I done?

"Gotta make a run for your pops"

I sighed, a little relieved he wasn't leaving me for good. After Ethic burped Erik, he handed him to me.

"I'll be back soon. Don't wait up." His voice was back normal and his demeanor was peaceful. Did he forget what I was saying or did our son bring him peace naturally?

He kissed my forehead. "I love you."

Maybe he's bipolar.

Ethic walked out of our front door, not looking back at me. I looked down at Erik who was laughing at the window again, making me smile a little. I reached in my jean's pocket and pulled out my cell phone.

After a few seconds, the ringing stopped. "Hey, it's Kaila. Can we talk?"