Chapter Fifty-Five -- One Love

Ethic's POV

I hung up on Kaila, not wanting to hear what the fuck she had to say. I tried to keep my anger under control by taking slow deep breathes, but even that bullshit wasn't working. Where the fuck was she?

My mind replayed our conversation over again before I left to collect Kai's money. She kept fucking with me, wanting to start an argument I wouldn't give in to.

Of course, I wanted to marry her. Kaila is and will always be my first love. Why should I lead her on with an engagement ring when I know I wasn't tying the knot until we was fanatically stable?

I think it's dumb as hell be engaged for a long time. I was planning on explaining this to her when I came back home, but all I was met with was an empty house. She can't be that mad over a fucking ring less finger.

The front door to our condo opened, making me dismiss my thoughts. Kaila stepped in, holding my son close to her chest. From the way she was holding him, I couldn't tell if he was sleep or awake.

"Happy you're home," I told her sarcastically. She looked at me for the first time and rolled her eyes.

I heard her mumble, "What the fuck ever," before disappearing down the hallway, my son in tow.

I bit my tongue to keep from saying some slick and ran my hand over my Caesar cut.

I stood up and began walking to the room we both shared. I checked in on my son along the way. He was sleeping, his little chest rising up and down slowly. I made sure his monitor was on before leaving the room.

As I stepped in me and Kaila's massive bed room, she was on her side of the bed with her back facing me standing up.

I leaned against the door frame as I watched her remove her shirt and jeans then slowly her bra and panties. My anger towards her was completely gone as I examined her body. Damn, she look good as hell.

After having Erik her body has gotten thicker in all the right places. I wanted to say fuck that li'l argument and fuck the shit out of her on the floor.

"Take a picture, it'll last a hell of a lot longer," she hissed before getting in bed and under the covers.

I exhaled hard, tiring to blow off my rising steam. She just had to kill the mood. To avoid an argument with her, I cut the light off, and slid into bed next to her. I kept my back to her and closed my eyes.

"You know what, Ethic?"

I breathed out hard again. This inhale, exhale shit is getting old. I felt Kaila sit up in the bed and I felt her eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. I kept my eyes closed.

"Kaila, man chill the fuck out," I warned her.

I heard her sniff her nose a few times before laying back down. Is she crying? Damn, I hate when she cry. I rolled over and pulled her nude, warm body close to mine. She didn't try to stop me.

"Stop crying," I told her sternly, but gently.

She sniffed again and looked out at the stars outside our opened window. I knew she was thinking.

"Do you love me, Ethic? Straight up. No bullshit."

I wrapped her in my arms, the same way I did when we first slept together. I remember her telling me she felt safe whenever I did that.

"Yes, I love you, Kaila. All of you. Everything about you, girl" I told her honestly.

She sighed and wiped her tears. "I'm sorry for over reacting. I understand if you don't want to ever marry me"

I sighed and let her go. She just don't understand. Kaila sat up straight, looking me in my eyes.

"No, Ethic really. I get it. I won't ever bring it up again." I looked at Kaila for some seconds, not saying a word. Her eyes searched mines, waiting on me to say something.

"Kaila, I do want to marry you. You should've known that. Don't I show how much I care and love you everyday? How I'll do anything for you-- for us. I don't keep shit from you, Kaila.

"You are my wife. I don't need no papers or no big ass wedding to prove that shit, baby. But I know that's what you want. To be honest with you, we can't afford that right now. We just had a baby, Kaila."

"I know, I know. But all I wanted was an engagement. We can have the wedding a few years from now," she said with pleading eyes.

I shook my head. This was exactly what I knew she'll say.

I grabbed both of her hands. "When we're ready, that's when I'll engage," I told her.

She sighed, finally realising she lost. "Promise?"

I smiled a little, she's always making me and her Pops promise her something.

I leaned closer to kiss her soft lips. "I promise, baby."

And I meant it... just when the time was right.