Chapter Thirty-One -- New Responsibility

I sat in the middle of the bed biting my nails while I held the phone up to my ear waiting for Ethic to answer. Would he believe me?

He'll probably think I'm lying, and just trying to get back with him.

All of my thoughts faded when the operator on the phone said, "I'm sorry, but this number has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Good bye."

I held the phone up to my ear long after it had hung up. Why would he do this? I thought about writing him, but didn't know his address. I thought about Facebooking him, but he didn't have one.

"He'll never know..." I said to myself.

As soon as I put the phone down, it ringed. I picked it up slowly and read the screen.

Trevon.

Any other time, I probably would've smile, but I didn't.

"Hello?" I said into the phone as normal as I could.

"Yo, what's wrong, ma?"

Damn, he still could tell.

I shook my head as if he could see me. "I'm pregnant," I choked out.

"Aww, It's okay," he said.

I shook my head again. "No. No, it's not. I have to go, Trevon," I said, not even knowing why I answered. Well, that's one person that knows.

A knock coming from my door made my head snap up.

"Come in!" I yelled.

Octavia stuck her head in the room fixing her mouth to tell me something, but when she looked in my face and at the pregnancy stick on the bed she stopped.

Shit, I forgot about it still being on the bed.

I quickly snatched it up.

Her mouth hung open while she came in, shutting the door close behind her. Tears formed in my eyes as I looked away.

Octavia came over to me and wrapped me in her arms while I cried on her shoulder.

"Shh... it'll be okay, Kaila."

I pulled away. "Why is everybody saying that? It's not okay! I'm not ready for a baby."

Octavia sat down on my bed across from me and grabbed my hand. "A baby is a good thing, the most precious gift of them all, and a special gift from God no matter how old you are," she said.

For the first time I felt myself smile even though I didn't want to.

"There's that smile," she said while putting her hand against my face. "I'm taking you to the doctor tomorrow, okay? Then you gotta' tell your father."

I shook my head and felt the tears coming back. "I-I I can't tell him. He'll be so disappointed in me."

"Kaila, your daddy loves you. You may not understand some of his decisions, and hell, sometimes I don't either, but he loves you no matter what. He may be mad, but he'll come around, trust me."

I nodded my head.

"Now, did you tell Ethic yet?" she asked.

I looked away. "I tried to, but he changed his number."

"He did what? Oh hell no, I'm taking you back down there to tell his ass in person then."

I looked up at Octavia, surprised by her words. "Really?"

She nodded. "But it'll have to be between just you and me, got it?"

I nodded my head and smiled a little.