Chapter Forthy-Six -- Welcome to Our World

"Dad?" Ethic rubbed his eyes and sat up in his chair. I guess I don't have to worry about "getting them back together" now.

I watched as Ethic starred at him, his face showing happiness and confusion at the same time. His Grandmother would be proud. But then, like the devil jumped into him, his face turned to anger. His whole body language changed and the Ethic I hate seeing was in front of me. He stood up, knocking the chair backwards with a loud thud.

"Fuck you doing here?" he said, walking closer to David.

I stepped up in front of Ethic just in time to stop him from getting any closer. "Ethic, wait--"

"Naw, fuck that! 'Dis nigga wanna come in here like everything's all good. Like he's a real father. You ain't shit! Just a fuckin' dead beat."

He pushed me on the couch that stood behind his dad and charged the man, surprising us both. They both fell on the floor. Ethic was on top punching David over and over again in his face. The sad part is, he didn't even try to stop him. Maybe he knew he deserved it.

I stood up and tried to pull Ethic off of him by his shirt, but he still wasn't letting up.

Two security guards then busted into the room, grabbing Ethic in a quick swift motion like he was as light as a feather. He had no bruises on him, but his dad was pretty fucked up.

I stood back and crossed my arms as Ethic was taken out of the room.

"Fuck you, you bitch ass nigga. You will never be my father. Remember 'dat shit!"

I shook my head and looked down at David, who was still laying on the floor. I don't feel sorry for him, but I still went to the bathroom to get him a wet paper towel.

"Are you okay, sir?" I heard the same nurse from earlier asked him.

"Yeah, thanks," he told her.

I came out of the bathroom as soon as she was leaving. I went over to give David the paper towels for his bloody nose and lip. He was now propped up against the wall. "Thanks," he mumbled.

"No problem," I chirped.

I watched as he cleaned his self up and muttered words I could quite understand. I went back over to sit back by Ms. Mary's bed. I don't know if its the medicine, but this woman could sleep through anything.

"Ethic lay some good punches, I see," I heard David say.

I looked at him and nodded. "Yeah, he got you good."

He grinned and stood up. "I guess I deserved it. I expected him to be mad, hate me, but I didn't expect him to hit me."

I laughed a little and stretched my arms out. "Well, Mr. David, welcome to our world."

*****

I sat in the hotel's king sized bed, watching TV and eating Fruit Loops out of the cereal box.

It felt kind of weird staying in a hotel in my home town. Most people stay at a relative's or a friend's house when they come back home, but since I didn't have neither, here I am.

My new iPhone started to play Take Care by Drake and Rihanna, Ethic's ring tone. I sighed and grabbed the phone from the bed.

"Hey, baby!" I answered in a fake happy voice.

"Hey..." he hesitated, "I'm on my way, you want something before I get there?"

I heard the sound of cars wheezing down the street so I knew he was driving. I leaned my back against the head board for support and shook my head, even though he couldn't see me.

"No, I'm good," I told him.

I played with my necklace around my neck and thought about all of the drama that happened today. I thought about his ex and the way he acted like it was no big deal.

"Wait, on a second thought, I do want something," I said quickly.

"Like what??"

"I want a Big Mac from McDonald's, extra sauce, a small fry, and two apple pies. I want a king-sized Snicker bar, a orange Sunkiss, two bags of Flamin' Hot Cheetos, a pickle, two zebra cakes, and some purple and green Now and Later's," I said in one quick breath.

"Goddamn, I thought you was eatin' for two, not a whole damn family."

I picked my nails and smacked my lips to stop myself from laughing. "Shut up, and hurry up with my food." I heard him groan then hang up the phone. I threw my phone on the bed and rolled over laughing.

About thirty minutes later, a knock came from the door. I wiped the smile off my face and walked over, looking in the peep hole. Ethic was standing holding two bags in his hand with a smug look on his face. He looked so cute! I grinned before opening the door.

"Here," he said while putting the bags in my hands. He walked past me, leaving me standing in the door.

"I missed you too, Ethic," I said with sarcasm. I shut the door and looked in the bags. Everything I asked for was there.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he said, waving me off from behind.

I giggled and sat the food on a nearby table. I watched as Ethic stripped off his clothes, all of them, and got into the bed, not looking my way. His back was turned to me as I turned the light off and prepared for bed too.

"Hell naw, I know you gonna' eat that food, right?" he said. He had rolled over and was now facing me.

I stopped for a second and shrugged. "Yeah, baby. I'll eat it," I said while slipping into bed.

I turned my back to him and closed my eyes, attempting to fall asleep. I felt Ethic sit up in the bed and when I felt his eyes on me, I opened one eye. He was leaning over me with a serious look on his face.

I laughed. "What?"

Ethic shook his head and laughed a bit. "I'm never asking you do you want something ever again."