Chapter Eight -- The Very First Step

"You need a what!" Ethic yelled in shock as he jumped up from the wooden bench we were sitting on.

I continued chewing my sandwich and repeated myself, even though I know damn well he heard me the first time.

"I... need... a... gun," I dragged out my words slowly.

Ethic is the sexiest dude at my high school and it seems as if every girl wants him. With his light, flawless complexion, dark brown eyes, cute dimples, and a body you would see on male models, it was hard NOT to want him.

Whenever somebody needed something illegal, they came to Ethic. He was the man around Grant High School and he was my only best friend.

He sat back down next to me and put his head in his hands as he began cursing under his breath.

"Please?" I begged which is something I rarely do.

Ethic sat up and looked at me, concern filling his eyes. "Are you sure?"

I nodded my head in response.

He smirked. "Do you even know how to shoot a gun?"

I shrugged, "You'll teach me."

He smiled wider, showing his panty dropping dimples. "Don't be so sure," he told me.

I playfully punched him in the arm. "I know you don't anybody else to."

He nodded, "You're right about that. What the hell you need a gun for anyway?"

I looked away from Ethic and starred at the green grass in front of the school to avoid his eyes. "I have to get them, before they get me."

Ethic put his arm around me, making some stupid whore that was passing roll her eyes at the both of us. If looks could kill, I'll be dead on the spot.

"Maybe you should tell the police," he whispered in my ear.

I pushed his arm off me and jumped up from the bench. "Tell the police what? Some guys are after me from ten years ago? They'll laugh at my ass! It's been ten fuckin' years and they still haven't found those bastards yet. I'm not even sure if they're still looking! I can't let them walk around like everything is okay."

I felt my face getting hot with tears and I'm sure I was making a scene, so I sat back down and covered my face with my hands.

"Ethic, the way that man Quan, looked at me at that farm house, I can tell he or somebody out there, still wants my blood," I shook my head back and forth, "I'm not going out like that."

The bell ringed, letting everybody it's time for the last class of the day.

Ethic and I stood up at the same time. He pulled me into a hug before I felt him lay his head on top of mine with his chin. I felt so safe in his arms I almost asked him not let go.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

"Don't be."

I don't like people feeling sorry for me. That's why he's the only one here that knows my situation.

He nodded while looking into my eyes. "Meet me at my house at eight, don't be late, don't be early. Aight?"

I nodded, understanding. "Okay."