You're Mine, Forever ~ Chapter 35

Chapter Thirty-Five

'What's the matter?'
'Hmm...', i turned my face towards him. 'Nothing', I sighed. 'I'm sorry, I'm just a bit tired. We had two emergency operations today'.
He nodded.
'We'll be home soon'.
Then silence.
He fetched me at work today and we went to Deli's mom birthday party. But my mind was wandering the whole time. It started since I saw Simon and shared a lunch, in which he invited me to go with him. I declined at first for I didn't want to be familiar with him anymore but he insisted, almost pleaded actually, so for old time sake, I gave in.

'I can't stay long Simon, I only got fifteen minutes break', I said hurriedly, glancing at my wristwatch to check on the time. The hospital cafeteria is filled with people. I usually take my lunch with the ICU staff.
'Don't I know that Nicky?'
My head snapped up, he is the only one who calls me Nicky.
I took a deep breath, trying to kill the urge of giving him a piece of my mind. I would be a hypocrite to say that I forgot everything that happened between us. Words of accusations wanna burst from my mouth but what's the point of stating them?
'What do you want?', I sounded stern but damn it to hell what is he doing here?
'I wanted to see you. I mean my cousin is here but aside from that I wanted to know how are you doing?', I can sense that he is studying my reactions.
'I'm perfectly fine', I smiled but it didn't reach my eyes.
I saw his eyes sombering as if he's in pain. Now what?
'I heard you got married', he said in a low tone.
'Yeah, I did', nodding my head in emphasis.
'Why?'
'Why?', I asked, dumbfounded.
'Why did you marry him, Nicky?'
I was surprised by his question. He has the gall to question me?
'Why do you think I married him, Simon?', my temper not far from the surface. What's his point?
'He's quite the catch', then he glanced at my engagement and wedding rings on my left hand. I always wear them when I'm not working as a bedside staff.
I scoffed sarcastically and crossed my arms against my chest.
'Are you thinking I married him for his money?', My frown deepened.
'You don't love him, Nicky', he ignored my question and declared that.
I stared at him levelly. Then took a deep breath to calm my nerves.
'Oh I do. I love him so much', I said seriously.
He shut up. Both of our emotions are running high. Simon can be very stubborn and I don't want to put up with his attitude anymore. I can't believe I survive those years I was his.o
Then to my surprised he clenched his fist and he looked so sad.
I slowly leaned forward and reached for his hand. As much as I wanted to be mad at him, I don't want to carry the burden of hate in my heart. I can't bear to see him like this . Not only him, that includes everyone I know.
'Simon, I wanna thank you for trying and have this talk with me', I took a deep breath and continued. 'Remember we both agreed it was for the better to part ways. I--'
'I still love you, Nicky', he said and squeezed my hand. He was staring blatantly at me.
I was shock. What happened to his other woman? The woman he got with child?
'I realized I made a huge mistake. I want you. I need you. She's-- she isn't you Nicky. I'm so sorry for what I've done, I love you. Please believe me, I love--'
'I'm sorry', I cut him off then I removed my hand from his grapsed. I don't need this. He's confusing me.
'I'm not going to give up on you Nicky. I know you still love me and I won't stop not until you tell me to'.
'Stop now', I said quietly. 'This is madness. I'm married Simon', I hissed.
'I know--'
'Then stop. I don't want to discuss this any further. We're through', I was unrelenting. He needs to know that I'm not the same Nicky that I used to be.
I changed and that is because of him.
My husband. My Eric.
He healed my broken and shattered soul.
I had a change of heart.
I will always be grateful for Simon for if he didn't leave, I would never have met the man of my dreams.

***

'Is there something you wanna tell me?', Eric said the next day while we were strolling around the park just right infront of the hospital. The place where I was sitting with Mina when he had an accident.
He was holding my hands while we were enjoying the playful kids running around with their onlooking parents.
I raised my eyebrows in question.
He stopped walking and let go of my hand. He cleared his throat and faced the sunset. He then placed his hands inside his black slacks pockets.
It was almost seven in the evening but the sun is still up.
'I saw you talking to a man yesterday Nic', he started. His voice sounded different.
My eyes widened. Why didn't he asked me?
He glanced at me and watched my reaction.
'I waited for you to say you've seen him', he stated, answering my silent question. 'He's Simon, right?'
I nodded. My heart started booming in my chest. I frowned. I'm not prepared for this.
'Yes. How did you know him?'
'Mina told me', he sound deadly, and I felt like the hair at the back of my nape started scrambling. But he continued, 'I wanted to take you out for lunch'.
'He's cousin is our patient. Room four', my voice sounded funny. If you're listening to it you can even say it sounded guilty.
'What did he tell you?', he inquired.
God! He looks dangerous.
I look around but everyone were busy with their activities.
Why is he confronting me?
'E-eric, I don't think this is the best place to talk about that', I didn't answer him. We are in a public place and by the look of him, he's boiling mad.
He stared at me for a long time with those chilling blue eyes which was new to me.
He never looked at me that way before. Never. Just today.
Then he smirked and shook his head to himself.
'I'll wait for you in the car', he said, resigned.
I opened my mouth to explain and tried to get a grip his arm but he walked fast ahead of me.
Shit! What have I done?
I was left dumbfounded.