Chapter 22 Star Gazing

FINALLY a new chapter! I'm sorry for such a long wait, I had school and writer's block, you guys know how that is. But it's finally here! Enjoy!

“Dan have you seen my red sneakers? I can’t find them,” Travis called, rifling through the closet.

“They’re at the back door,” Dani called back.

Travis walked out of the closet to the bathroom where Dani was getting ready for work. He leaned against the door. “I wish you could come with us, Dan.”

Dani sighed and set her mascara wand down. “I wish I could too, Trav. But I can’t just up and leave off to Europe and Asia. Work is giving me off in two weeks, so I can join you on Warped.”

Travis lit up. “How long will you be off?”

“I’m not sure yet. The college kids are back for the summer, so my hours are being cut as it is. If it gets too bad, I might just tell them to give the kids my hours for the summer, and I’ll be back when school starts up again.”

“And then you can come on tour!” Travis said excitedly.

Dani grinned. “And then I can come on tour. But for now, I have to finish getting ready. Shoo!”

Twenty minutes later, Dani was off to work and Travis started to finish packing. He would be leaving in the early morning, so they were going to be having a night in together before he left. Travis walked into the closet and threw random shirts into his suitcase, not bothering to see what they were. He wasn’t going to fashion week, nobody would be checking out his outfits, so who cares?

Travis and Dani lay out in the grass in their backyard, looking at the stars. They were especially bright this evening. Dani pointed to a constellation.

“That’s Orion’s Belt,” she directed her finger across the pattern of stars.

“Isn’t that one the Big Dipper?” Travis asked, looking to their left.

“No, that’s the Little Dipper, also known as Ursa Minor.” She slipped her hand into her boyfriend’s. “There’s the Big Dipper, or Ursa Major. And in between the two is Draco.”

Dani continued to point out constellations, as well as the North Star. She told the legends behind each one, and Travis pictured each story in his head. He circled his thumb on her hand as he listened to the myth of Cassiopeia, queen of Aethiopia. She was placed in the sky as punishment for her boast that her daughter Andromeda was more beautiful than the Nereids, or that she herself was more beautiful than the sea nymphs. As punishment, she was forced to circle the North Celestial Pole on her throne, clinging to it half of the time so she didn’t fall off. Poseidon also proclaimed for Andromeda to be bound to a rock as prey for the monster Cetus, who was ravishing the Ethiopian coast.

“How do you know so much about this stuff?” the redhead laughed.

Dani grinned sheepishly. “I minored in Astrology.” She suddenly gasped and

Travis started. “A shooting star!” she exclaimed. “Make a wish!”

Travis closed his eyes. When he opened them, Dani’s hazel eyes were boring into his blue ones. He smiled and kissed her nose. She giggled, turning back to the glittering sky.

“It’s so beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Gorgeous.”

Dani laughed. “I wouldn’t say-” when she turned, Travis wasn’t looking at the sky but at her. She blushed and looked away with a smile.

Travis grinned, slipping his hand in hers, their fingers intertwining. She leaned her head on his head and sighed contently. The two laid on the grass for some time, no speech needed, only each other’s company. Travis kissed Dani’s forehead; he was going to miss this interaction with his girlfriend.

x   x   x

The car pulled into a space in the parking garage, and the two walked out. They would be meeting up with Charles and Danny in the airport. Travis’ suitcase rolled behind him, a guitar case in his right hand.

Dani walked somberly on his left. This out be the first time he would be leaving for tour without her joining. She knew she couldn’t go with in the beginning, but was glum nonetheless. Last time had been different, now they were going to different countries and she was unable to leave work.

“So you’ll be getting a vacation in two weeks?” Travis asked softly.

Dani nodded, tears pricking her eyes. She looked at her feet, willing herself not to cry. Travis lifted her chin with his hand, wiping away tears that had escaped.

“Hey it’s gonna be alright. We’ll talk on the phone and facetime every chance I get, and you’ll be with us as soon as you know it.” He smiled and kissed her softly as his flight was called. They broke away and he hugged her tightly. He promised to call as soon as they landed and picked up his belongings to enter Gate 5C.

“Travis, wait!” Dani called before he walked in.

Turning around, he saw Dani running to him and enveloped him in a hug. She broke away, and before he could say anything, her lips collided onto his. She grabbed his shirt, pulling him desperately close to her. Their lips moved harmoniously, Dani keeping as close as she could. When it was impossible to breathe any longer, she reluctantly broke away, leaning her forehead against his, breathing heavily.

Silent tears skated down her face. “Call me as soon as you land.” she whispered into the crook of his neck.

He nodded. “I promise. I have to go, Dan.”

She kissed him one last time before stepping back. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Dan. I’ll see you soon okay?” he squeezed her hand as she nodded.

He picked up his belongings and walked through the gate to the plane. Dani watched his retreating back through blurry eyes until she could see him no longer.

Okay, so there it is! Not sure when the next chappie will be up, but I'll keep you guys updated. I'll be following the tour, just not as I did in the beginning obviously. Please vote and comment, it really helps :)