Chapter 17 Fever 2013

Travis woke up at 3am in a sweat; his hair was plastered to his head and he felt as hot as an oven. He pushed himself out of bed and shuffled into the bathroom. Pulling the door behind him, Travis flicked on the light, then splashed cold water on his face. What was wrong? He was feeling just fine yesterday! Opening the medicine cabinet, Travis rummaged around for a thermometer. He grasped one behind one of Dani's hair products. With a shaking hand, he pulled it down, stuck it under his tongue and leaned on the sink, waiting for the beep.

"99.8 degrees? Oh terrific," Travis groaned, setting the thermometer on the sink. Suddenly, he felt nauseous. The toilet might be his new friend.

x     x     x

Dani woke up and reached her hand over, but all she felt was blanket. Rubbing her eyes, she got out of bed and shrugged on her robe to see where Travis was. The clock said 9:30am; maybe he was getting breakfast. She started to leave the room when she noticed the bathroom door slightly ajar and the light on. She pushed the door open to find the ill Travis asleep face down on the tile floor, the only comfortable place that was cool. Kneeling down, Dani felt his head- he was burning up.

"Travis, hey honey come on get up." She tried to pull him up, but he was too heavy for her to lift. Dani wet a washcloth and dabbed his face. "Travis, wake up." Dani's voice shook as she pleaded Travis to wake.

Just then, Travis stirred, and after a few moments managed to lift himself into a sitting position against the wall. Dani breathed a sigh of relief and put her hand on his cheek.

"Travis, you're really burning up, I have to take your temperature."

Two minutes later, Dani checked the thermometer. Travis now had a temperature of 106 degrees. This was not good. "Travis, can you walk? We need to go to the hospital now"

Travis tried to get up, but couldn't walk without Dani's help. Slowly but surely, they made it out of the bedroom and down the hall just fine until they got to the top of the steps. 

"Okay, we're going to take this nice and slow," Dani said calmly. As she stepped down, she tripped on her robe, and Travis fell off of her shoulder, tumbling down the steps. "NOO!" Dani screamed, racing down to her boyfriend. 

"Travis, Travis no," Dani sobbed, a small pool of blood surrounding Travis' head. Dani ran to the phone and called 911, fumbling her words over the description of what happened.

 x     x     x

Dani was pacing in Travis' hospital room. His head was bandaged and he was hooked up to an IV and a breathing tube. Dani prayed he wasn't in a coma. The doctor hadn't said much to her, he just flashed a light in Travis' eyes, did some other tests and rolled him out for an MRI. Dani sat in the chair next to Travis' bed and scooted closer, taking his hand in hers and began talking to him. "Hi Trav. I'm not sure what's wrong with you, but you had a really high fever, then when we were trying to leave for the hospital you fell and hit your head and the ambulance took you to the ER. Next thing I know, you're hooked up to an IV, a doctor is performing a bunch of tests on you and you aren't waking up." Tears skated down her cheeks. "You need to wake up, Travis. need you to wake up," Dani's voice cracked and she lowered her head, tears dropping onto the bed like rainfall. "I called the boys and your family. They should be here soon. I love you, Travis."

Dani thought she heard something from Travis and snapped her head up. There was nothing more, so she decided it was nothing.

Half an hour later, Danny, Charles and Alli were in the room. Travis' family would be arriving the next day. Dani had told the group everything that happened until now.

"Man, I don't know how this could've happened. One in a million, you know?" Danny said.

"It was my fault. I was helping him down the stairs. I tripped. I made him fall."

"Dani don't say that, it's not your fault," Charles said firmly.

"I just don't know what to do, I'm so worried about him. I've been crying non-stop, I don't think I don't think I have any tears left." Dani attempted a smile.

Alli sat on the chair next to Dani and hugged her. "He's going to wake up, Dani. I know it. We all know it." Charles and Danny nodded in agreement.

"Thank you guys" Dani hugged Alli then the boys. "I hope Travis can hear all the love," Dani said smiling and kissed his cheek. 

A nurse walked in a few moments later and told the group that the doctor would be in shortly to do a few more examinations and then left the room. Alli, Charles and Danny left soon after, with Dani promising to tell them what the doctor said about Travis.

About ten minutes later, a doctor with square glasses and a receding hairline walked into the room. He looked at Travis' chart, reading the notes written down by the nurses. Dani stood in the corner chewing her fingernail as the doctor once again shined a light in Travis' eyes and tapped him for reflexes. The nervous habit had returned ever since Travis was admitted. The doctor turned to Dani, wrapping his stethlescope behind his neck.

"Miss, Mr. Clark may be..."

Oh my gosh please don't hurt me! I'm sorry, take it up with my writer! Wait.... Seriously though, I hope you enjoyed the chapter despite the circumstance of what is happening. Upload took longer because I was researching comas and changing what I wrote. I'm trying to keep this as medically correct as possible! 

ps Do you get the title? Brownie points to those who do! :)