Chapter 10 Hospital Visit

"How old is she, sir?" the paramedic asked Travis as he and his partner pushed her in the stretcher to the ambulance. 

"Sh-she's 24," Travis replied, running along with them.

"24 year old female, unresponsive but still breathing," the paramedic called to his partner, lifting the stretcher into the ambulance. Travis hopped in and closed the doors behind him.

"It's a classic case of heat stroke, Mr. Clark."

"Travis. Please."

"Very well. We have ice packs on Ms. Meshler and a nurse will come in soon to sponge cool water on her. She shouldn't have been wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt today," the doctor continued. "It is much too hot for that kind of attire. She needs to drink water when she wakes up, and should be drinking plenty of it when I discharge her. Make sure of that, Travis."

Travis nodded. "Yes sir, I will."

The doctor left with a curt nod, and an older nurse with graying hair came in to check Dani's vitals and sponge cool water on her. A few minutes later, she started to leave when Travis asked her if she could stay for a bit.

"I have to make a quick phone call, and if I'm not here she'll get worried. She needs someone here. I just need five minutes."

The nurse smiled. "Of course dear, take your time."

"Thanks," Travis said and left to call Charles to see what happened at the concert. He answered on the first ring. "Before you say anything Char, she's gonna be fine. Doc said she had heat stroke. I only have a few minutes; what happened after I left?"

Charles told Travis that the fans got worried when he ran off and didn't come back. Charles explained to them that Travis had an emergency, and the concert would have to be cut short. He apologized, thanked them for coming and said if they wanted their money back to go to the merch table and give their information.

"So haw many people wanted refunds? Everyone I guess," Travis sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Trav, nobody asked for a refund. Almost everyone just went over and told the merch guy their name and said a get well for Dani," Charles replied.

"Wait. are you serious? You've got to be kidding me."

"I'm not kidding, Trav. I'll show you the names when you get back. There's hundreds."

"This is crazy," Travis said, bewildered. "Listen, I gotta get back. I'll text you when Dani is discharged."

"Alright bye, give Dani our own get well wishes."

Travis hung up and walked back to Dani's room to find her awake.

"Dani!" he ran over and hugged her.

"Trav!" she muffled into his shoulder. "What happened? All I remember is watching you guys then I said something to NerdRock and after that everything is blank."

Travis sat on the bed and took Dani's hands in his. "You had a heat stroke. I was so scared, Dan. You just collapsed and I couldn't do anything. I was yelling your name, patting your face... I didn't know what was wrong and you just didn't wake up."

"Oh, Travis I can't imagine how terrible that was for you," Dani said, hugging him. "I'm so sorry."

"The doctor said you have to be drinking lots of water too, so we're stocking up on water bottles when we get out of here."

Dani smiled. "Okay boss."

"Also, no more long sleeves and pants in the hot sun. The doctor said it's a factor that gave you a heat stroke. Okay?" He squeezed Dani's hand.

Dani bit her lip. "Travis, I can't wear shorts. I haven't in a long time."

Travis frowned. "Why not? Are they uncomfortable?"

Dani paused and gripped the sheet covers. "Don't judge me, Travis." She removed the sheets and lifted her gown slightly to reveal scars on her thighs. She turned her head, tears falling down her face.

Travis turned her face to look at him. "How can I judge you, when all I see is beauty?" he asked.

Dani let out a sob and pulled him toward her in a loving embrace.

"Dani, don't worry if other people look at you differet," Travis whispered. "I see you as you. Beautiful and your beauty shouldn't be covered. You are amazing; I know you can do it. And I'll be right by your side."

Dani brushed tears away. "You really are the perfect man, you know that?" 

"I try," Travis said, and she laughed.

"Try to get some sleep now. Today has been really overwhelming." He pecked her on the lips and took her hand. "I'll be here when you wake up."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did, please vote and comment, I really appreciate it :)