Chapter 18 Prognosis

Song: Sad Song- We The Kings ft. Elena Coats

"After my examinations and MRI testing, I believe that Mr. Clark is in a coma," the doctor told Dani, who gasped. "If he was only in stupor, he would be aroused briefly, but this is not the case. As you can tell by my attempts to wake Travis, that didn't happen; his eyes are closed." Dani began to cry silently at the news.

"All comas are different- he would wake up tomorrow, next week, next month or next year. With a head injury case, there is a strong recovery occurance, especially Travis being so young. He could be in this state for a few weeks and still have a very good chance of waking. 

Now because he is unable to, you will be the one to make Mr. Clark's medical choices until familly arrives." The doctor put a hand on Dani's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Miss Meschler. We all hope that he wakes up soon, and we'll take good care of him."  He picked up Travis' chart and walked out of the room.

Dani slumped into the chair next to Travis' bed, tears falling down her cheeks. She didn't know what to do. Coma? Next week? Next month? Next year?? Her phone rang, but she ignored it. Just then, a couple walked into the hospital room. They looked at Travis and figured he was sleeping. The woman's eyes traveled to the girl sitting next to her son and nudged her husband. 

"Hi, you must be Dani. I'm Robert, Travis' father, and this is Leigh." Robert stuck his hand out for her to shake, but Dani just kept looking straight ahead, silent tears falling into her lap, emotionless.

Leigh walked over and waved her hand in front of Dani's face. "Dani?" 

Dani jumped and clutched Travis' hand, which she had been holding. She looked at them with wide eyes.

"We're Travis' parents. What's going on? Is Travis okay?"

Dani's lip trembled as she shook her head no. "He-he's in a coma," she managed after a few moments, and began to cry. 

"What do you mean he's in a coma?!" Leigh exclaimed.

Taking a staggered breath, Dani recounted everything that happened and what the doctor told her. Throughout the entire time she was talking, she kept her hand in Travis' limp one like a safety net.

"...So now that you're here, you have to make his medical choices as he..." Dani trailed off, looking at Travis' emotionless face. She missed his smile, his laugh, his wild red hair that he was always brushing away from his face. How long until she saw that again? A day? A week? A month? A year? God, please not that long. Just thinking about it made her heart ache.

"I'm gonna go outside...you guys can stay here privately with him for a while." Dani needed air; if she sat in there one more minute she was going to cry an ocean.

Dani closed the door to Travis' room and walked blindly down the hall. She didn't know where she was going, she just knew she needed to get out of the ward and try not to think about what had happened in the past few hours, if it was even possible. Rounding a corner, Dani bumped into someone.

"Watch where you're go-Charles!" Dani exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Robert texted me a few minutes ago, Lauren drove me over," he said, worriness sketched on his face.

"Oh Charles, I'm so scared," Dani said, wrapping her arms around him and wetting his shirt with tears.

"So am I Dani. We all are. I'm gonna go in there for a bit, then Lauren will take you home. I think you've been through a lot. Don't worry, I'll have Alli pick you up tomorrow," he said when she opened her mouth to protest. "You need a good night's sleep."

Dani sighed in defeat. "You're right. I haven't been able to sleep here, maybe I will at home."

That Night

Dani sat in bed and turned off the light on the nightstand then laid on her back to sleep. She turned to her right to see an empty space. Oh. That's right. Travis was... Dani began to sob into her pillow. She was alone, just like that day in Baltimore. But this time, Travis wasn't coming right back.