Chapter 15 Dani's Story (Caution: violence)

Yay I'm finally uploading!! :D DISCLAIMER: In this chapter as you can see from the title, Dani will be telling her "story." There will be some violence, so if you want to skip that part, I will write in bold and caps "STOP" and you can skip down until you see "CONTINUE." Otherwise, just ignore that. Now read on my friends! :)

Saturday had finally come around, and Dani was rushing about. Everyone would be arriving soon, and she felt like she still wasn't prepared. Pacing back and forth, Dani ran through a checklist.

"We have the appetizers?"

"Yes."

"All the dishes and silver are set on the table?"

"Yes."

"Chicken is in the oven and cook time is set?"

"Yes and yes."

"The pie! Oh no, I forgot about the pie!"

Travis grabbed Dani before she could dash into the kitchen. "Dan, relax I set it on the dessert tray. Everything is going to be just fine. You are going to be a great hostess."

Dani sighed in relief. "Thanks, Trav." she smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek, just as the doorbell rang.

"It's going to be fine," Travis repeated. He squeezed Dani's hand and she walked to the door, opening it to greet Charles and Alli.

By 5:30, everyone had arrived and dinner was just about ready. The appetizers were gone and everyone had a glass of Merlot or Cabernet Savignon in hand. Dani set the food out with Alli's help, then called everyone to the table. Passing the food around, everyone dug in and conversations emerged.

"This is great, Dani!" Hunter praised.

"Thank you," she replied with a smile.

Once the dishes had been washed, Dani brought out the apple pie. "After dessert I have something I'd like to talk to all of you about," Dani announced. "Take your time though. Don't rush yourself."

Fifteen minnutes later, the girls brought the dirty plates and empty pie tray into the kitchen. "Don't worry about washing them, Alli. I'll do it tomorrow. Tell everyone I'll be right out?" asked Dani.

"Sure!" Alli responded and walked out to the living room where everyone had retreated.

Dani sat down slowly on one of the kitchen chairs. She took a deep breath and put her head in her hands. This was big.

Travis walked into the kitchen a few moments later. "Dani, are you alright? I know this is going to be hard for you, if you don't want to do it, it's okay."

Dani shook her head. "No. I can do it. I have do." She stood and waited a moment, then walked out to the living room hand-in-hand with Travis. Just keep breathing, she told herself.

"Well, I guess you're all wondering what I wanted to tell you," she said, sitting on the arm of the chair Travis had just sat on. "It's about my scars." Dani pulled her sleeve up for emphasis. "I'm quite certain you have all notices at some point or another, even if it has only been acknowledged once."  Travis' eyes flickered at Danny, then back to his hands.

"Anyway, there's a story behind my scars, I guess you could say. I think most of you are familiar with my previous relationship and how it wasn't at all like the one I have now." Dani smiled at Travis and took his hand. "My ex, James, beat me. A lot. Everyday. Physically and emotionally" 

****STOP****

*1 Year Ago*

"James it's 1 am, where have you been??"

"Out. You don't have to know everything I do. Get the fuck out of my way, Dani," James said, pushing her down roughly.

Dani lay in bed crying sofly, holding her cheek after being punched for accidentally burning James'  grilled cheese that night.

James shoved Dani into a wall. "When the hell are you getting a job?!" he yelled.

"I-I've been looking James, but it-it's hard to get a teaching job these days, especially with only an Associate's degree," Dani replied shakily, scared for what was going to happen next.

"Yeah fuckin right, you're just a lazy bitch who wants to lay on her fat ass all day and watch tv," James sneered. He pushed her onto the hard tile floor and kicked her in the stomach.

"Oh!" Dani cried out in pain.

James slapped her so hard you could see his handprint on her face. "Get out of my sight!"

Dani crawled to the bathroom, locked the door and let out the sobs she had been holding in. She opened a drawer under the sink and reached her hand in. She pulled out the razor blade she hid under her makeup bag, her new friend. Dani pulled her sleeve up and with a moment's pause, slit her wrist.

****CONTINUE***

"...So now you somewhat understand," Dani finished, looking at Danny then around the room. "There's a lot more I could say, but it hurts too much to talk about it, and I don't want to burden you with that." She brushed a tear away. "But Travis saved me from him, and that's all that really matters now."

Travis squeezed Dani's hand. She had told him this story before, but he ws still crying nonetheless. He wanted to hurt the man who hurt Dani, but what difference would it make? An eye for an eye they say...but it wouldn't do any justice. 

Alli walked over to Dani and hugged her tight. "I'm so sorry," she whispered. "You have to report him to the police, Dani."

"I can't," Dani replied, her lip trembling.

"Why?" Alli asked, wiping tears away.

"James is the police," she said, tears skating down her face. "I'm not going back to Philly anyway, for my and Travis' safety."

Travis pulled Dani close and held her. "There's really nothing we can do," he said sadly. "Though difficult, the only thing she can do is try to put it all behind her and think of the good memories and the ones to come. I think the latter will be easy."

Dani smiled at her boyfriend. "You're amazing, you know that?"

"I try," he joked.

She laughed and kissed his cheek. Looking back to her friends, Dani said, "I'm sorry to cut this little get-together short, but after all of this I think I need to get some sleep."

After hugs and goodbyes, everyone left and Dani plopped on the couch. "I'm so tired, I could probably fall asleep right...here..." she said, her eyes drooping.

Indeed, five minutes later Dani was out like a light. Travis scooped her up and carried her upstairs to bed. He kissed Dani's forehead and whispered in her ear, "Goodnight Sleeping Beauty."

It's finally up yay! I'm sorry about the violence part, I didn't like it either, I just had to give Dani's background of why she cut. Besides that, I hope you liked this chapter; uploads will be back to normal, every Monday :) I posted this on twitter, I think I lost some chapters I wrote or something because I know I have more than what's in my notebook :/ Well this has gone on too long, bye!!