Chapter 34

<34>

Hannah's POV

I looked into Brandon's eyes for the first time and waited for his reply.

"My wife." He answered.

Swiftly, I turned away so he wouldn't notice just how much it affected me. I knew he was married, it was his reason when he filed a divorce but hearing it from his own lips now was completely a different thing.

It was more painful.

I thought I completely moved on but seeing him now I realized I barely forgot him. The pain I thought I tucked in the deepest part of my heart resurfaced and poisoned my soul.

I hated him! He left me! For months, I waited for him, hoped and wished he would come back to me but he didn't, instead he sent me the papers asking for his freedom.

I cried myself to sleep for years because of the pain he had caused me, sorrow had crippled me, and I lost the will to live, even thought of killing myself to quicken my death. At least that way the pain wouldn't torture me anymore. But Dad was there and he saved me.

When everyone around me found love and chose to be happy, I was suffering. Wilson and Rebecca was married now and Jeremy and Gina were engaged. I found out a year back that the latter two were once a couple and they reunited because they loved each other too much they couldn't find anyone else.

Gina's actually not a Stevens, she was adopted, and so Rebecca's rebellious disagreement was worthless against the couple's perseverance of fighting for their love. They're getting married.

Now as Brandon stood in front of me with his wife I wished the ground would open up and swallow me from were I stood. I forced my tears back and swallowed a couple of times, killing the aching lump that formed in my throat.

But then the tears forced their way out and before I could shame myself in front of everyone I excused myself to the room, walking past the two, lying that I suddenly felt a nauseous.

"The cabin to your right Hannah, I put your things there. ." Jeremy said behind me as I battled which room to enter. I rushed in and leaned against the closed door.

There, I let my tears fall and muffled any sounds of my cries with my hand. When James knocked after a while I ran to the bed and pretended to be sleeping, he left quickly.

How could fate play at me? How could it be so damned cruel as to let our paths cross again? I should've refused when Jeremy and James planned to sail. I was very against the idea but Wilson had insisted that I should go. I just recently decided to see James and now there's Brandon. I wasn't ready to see him even after these long years we had been apart. I felt suddenly tired and then I succumb to a fitful slumber as I sobbed.

I woke up feeling gloomy, knowing that I was about to face him again. I must speak to James and tell him I changed my mind about this little adventure, I couldn't bare to watch Brandon with his wife.

I showered and picked a simple floral dress for the evening and then headed to the deck.

"We'll set sail in the morning to the other side of the island. There's private beaches out there." Came Brandon's voice.

He was speaking with Jeremy by the railing, both leaning on their backs, each filling their mouths with beer.

As I moved into the deck, I suddenly felt the chill and mentally scolded myself for not putting on a shawl or a jacket. The night was unusually cold or was it because of the waters. Gina and James sat on the benches, both had beers too.