Chapter 28

<28>

Hannah's POV

"When will you go for the grand tour? You haven't had your honeymoon yet," Rebecca asked me as we ate in a fine restaurant.

She visited me at home and distressed that I was eating alone. She even suggested that I must go to the company and ask Brandon out.

"Brandon and I haven't talked about it, he's busy. . ." I supplied forking my salad lazily. My chin was propped on my palm.

"Oh, dear. I'm sure he can find a way out and reschedule those appointments that are not too important." Mother-in-law pressed, her lips thin.

I shoved a mouthful of salad in my mouth and breathed, oblivious of Rebecca's thoughtful gaze. In the previous days Brandon refused to share our bed.

He made love to me each night but he slept in the other room. Something's not right. Instead of getting to know each other better he seemed to draw away, not ready to share his thoughts to me like a husband and wife ought to do.

I couldn't wave the thought of him being a stranger to me. I wanted to know him, to share his secrets, to comfort him when he's angry or lonely, I wanted to embrace him freely but he's way too far for my reach.

"Is everything alright honey?" Rebecca asked thoughtfully.

Her question snatched me from my deep thoughts and I laughed shyly. I stopped and looked at her knowing that my feelings were transparent in her eyes.

"I just can't get him, mom. ." I began continuing to toy at my food. She waited for me to continue.

"He's been so distant and I feel like I'm living with a stranger." I felt Rebecca's hand rubbed my back.

"He talked little,"

"But does he make love to you honey?" I flushed at her question but nodded anyway. I needed her advice on this.

"Well maybe he's still on the process of getting used to having his home invaded by a beautiful woman like you, for years he chose to live alone, he even estranged his own mother because he hated it that his life was being manipulated by me. It's not you Hannah, you must wait for him, bear his rough attitude because no matter how bad he can get deep inside there's a boy who longs for love. ."

"I know,"

"He lost his father when he was eight and," Rebecca trailed off and my curiosity was piqued. Her expression pained and sad. But she proceeded. "And he suffered a lot,"

"W—what do you mean?"

"I never spoke about it to anyone but you're his wife now, it's your right to know. Brandon suffered from severe emotional trauma, he dissociated from people before but fortunately he pulled through and managed to live a normal life." She supplied but her eyes flickered and refused to meet my searching ones.

I felt like she's not telling everything, holding up a few details to herself.

"What caused your husband's death?"

Again, her eyes looked away and her fingers trembled atop the table. When she saw me eyeing them she hid them under the table.

"He was arrested and sentenced to death,"

"Arrested?" My curiosity was stirred. "My father was arrested too. ."

Rebecca's brows knitted together. "I thought he's in London doing business?"