Chapter 20

<20>

Brandon's POV

I slowed the car down when my eyes caught the witch's car parked outside of the house. I rushed into the garage and quickly got out of the car. There were laughter coming out from the living room. I pushed the doors open.

Inside, I saw my mother seated beside Hannah on the couch. Both were swallowed in a conversation, their faces alight.

"What's happening here?" I barged in, cutting their conversation. The two turned in my direction and the laughter died out.

"Oh, you're home. You didn't mention Hannah to me." Rebecca said smiling at her. "She's telling me about how you met."

I frowned. It felt strange. She didn't usually act too cordial with anyone. She seldom laugh that her face was rigid in a permanent traces of frown. And most of the time she hated my choice of woman but as I watched them comfortably conversing, she must like Hannah to think that she was conversing with me warmly for the first time in my life.

"You didn't tell me you're dating someone," Rebecca commented.

Hannah flushed prettily under my gaze.

Rebecca's voice sounded very suggestive and lukewarm. We had a very rough relationship and now I felt suddenly taken aback by the warm treatment I was receiving from her.

The usual grim line of her lips now gone replaced by a welcoming one. The lines of frown upon her face all faded to reveal a happy smiling old woman.

She was faking it! I convinced myself.

"What brought you here? I thought you're going to spend a month vacation in Spain?" I asked, walking towards the living room and sat myself facing them.

Hannah smiled but I wasn't in the mood to return it. She frowned worriedly.

"I changed my mind. I'll probably just spend sometime with Hannah. Hmm. How about we go shopping? Or let's watch some musical." Rebecca suggested eagerly.

Hannah sat uncomfortably watching my reaction. I wasn't in any way pleased with Rebecca's plans.

"She's not going." I announced in a thunder.

"And why not? You can't cage her in this house forever. Women must enjoy their lives. You'll bore her to death if you do that."

"I think I'll spend sometime with your mother, Brandon. I don't really mind. Besides, she's old. Someone ought to be beside her all the time." Hannah said.

I glared at her. She'd keep my mother company and I wouldn't have anymore time with her alone. No.

"Oh, that's sweet of you dear." Rebecca patted Hannah's hands adoringly before she turned to me.

"Anyway, congratulations for nailing the partnership with Western Group."

For a moment I thought her expression was genuine. But I didn't let myself be swayed. She was an actress. She was expert in faking emotions.

I smirked sarcastically.

"Should I be happy that my mother paid a little of her time just to see me?"

Hannah's face paled. Of course, she wasn't used to this kind of scene between me and Rebecca. But I was accustomed to it since I was young. Hannah probably sympathized the witch instead of me.

"Hannah, can you fix me a lemonade please?" Rebecca turned to her. "And take your time."

Hannah took the message and left us in private.