Chapter 38

I think I'm going to keep adding onto this. I hope you guys enjoy. I love you all so much. xoxo

***

" Listen Vanessa we've just gotten to the arena. I'll call you later tonight? Tell Alex I love her." Niall says, hanging up the phone before I could even say anything. I sink back onto the hotel bed, Alex tucked in beside me. It was getting a little lonely around the house and Alex had been constantly asking about her dad. I thought that surprising Niall by showing up in LA would mean spending time with him after such a long time. 

" Where's daddy?" Alex asks, looking up at me from her spot on the bed. I faintly smile, brushing the strands of hair away from her face. Her smile fades away, realizing that Niall wasn't anywhere to be seen. She squeezes her eyes shut and her lip quivers. I look away, feeling tears burn my eyes at the thought of the distance between our family. 

" Soon, I promise." 

*** 

" Hello?" His voice tired and groggy on the other side of the line answered. 

" Hey it's Vanessa." I mumble, looking back at Alex sprawled out on the bed. " I'm in Los Angeles." 

There's a brief pause between the two of us, and shuffling in the background. 

" Where are you staying? I'll come meet you." He offers. 

" I'm at the Varden Hotel," And once again the call ends and I'm left hanging. I look down at the ring, the one I had received eight months ago. Being engaged to Niall didn't really feel like an engagement, it felt more like a faint commitment or a reminder that we can't see other people. 

I get Alex dressed into a fresh outfit and order some cereal from room service for breakfast. She quickly munches away, eager when she found out that her dad was on her way to see her. But I had mixed feelings about his visit even though I had been looking forward to this moment for about five months since the ' where we are' tour had begun. 

An abrupt knock came from the door, silence filling the room before Alex hurried to open the door. Niall stood at the doorframe with his arms open for the five year old to jump into them. She hugged him tightly, remaining in his grasp as he came forward to greet me. 

" Hey babe." He smiled brightly, leaning in for a kiss. I barely smile and dodge the kiss, plopping down onto the couch beside him. He furrows his eyebrows but instead turns his attention towards our daughter and his face lighting up again. 

" Let's go somewhere." He suggests, putting Alex down. 

" Come on, mommy!" She urged, tugging at my hand for a response. I nod and go to get our jackets. 

" Is everything okay?" He asks from behind, worry flooding his voice. 

" Of course." I lie, getting on my tip toes to kiss his lips. It felt good to have my lips against his and what we had back then we still had now. 

" Come on, I've missed you."