XXVI • The Duel

Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

The Duel

They could hear the roar of the Narnians below ground and by the time they had exited the How, the noise was deafening.

Edmund, Peter, and Elizabeth all silently walked into the sunlight and made their way down the stony pathway towards the dueling grounds. Peter was armed with his sword while Edmund carried his brother's sword and Elizabeth carried Peter's helmet as they advanced towards their destination where Glenstorm was already waiting for them. Elizabeth was now dressed in more battle worthy attire, ditching the jewelry and decorating herself with her trusted daggers and bow. As soon as the Narnians actually caught sight of their Kings and Queen, the cheers grew even louder.

Peter walked out with his head firmly held high and a look of determination with Edmund and Elizabeth holding themselves in a similar fashion, zeroing their gaze on the opponents waiting for them. But on the inside, Peter's heart pounded in his ears and while his face remained stone cold, he was a fit of nerves.

As was Elizabeth for her King. She feared for Peter's life considering Peter really had no idea what he was putting himself up against. Earlier she had begged Peter to let her switch places with him because at least then she would have her magic, but Peter refused.

On the other side of the field, the Telmarine army was also cheering just as loudly for their own King dressed in golden armor. There Miraz waited for them underneath the stony ruins marking the entrance to the How. Sitting in his chair, his Lords and General stood around him, muttering to one another. Miraz actually watched the Narnian royalty with a bit of concern growing in the pit of his stomach at how confident the three appeared. Even Elizabeth didn't have a speck of worry on her face as they approached like true royals well beyond their years. Even the way the Narnians acted towards their monarchs, their very presence demanding respect.

"If Miraz tries to say anything, don't listen to him," Elizabeth then instructed Peter. "He'll just try to put lies into your head to distract you. Watch his feet too, he has weak knees so make sure you use them to your advantage," she continued to advise, handing Peter his helmet which he put on and fastened under his chin.

Peter only nodded with each word of advice from Elizabeth before he frowned at the Telmarine King now within clear focus of them. "What happened to his nose?" Peter frowned when he actually noticed Miraz's severely bruised nose.

"I may have broken it earlier," Elizabeth only smirked with a small smile earning her a quick kiss on the cheek from Edmund.

"That's my girl," Edmund exclaimed proudly before shooting Miraz a cold look now that the three stood underneath the ruins, facing the Telmarines.

Edmund held out Peter's sheath and Peter only reached over, unsheathing his sword without a moment's notice causing another slight roar from the Narnians in support. Miraz then grabbed his own helmet from his men before sneering at them. "I hope you won't be disappointed when I survive," he snarled, unsheathing his own sword as he advanced into the center square, Peter following his lead.