XXIV • The Calm Before the Storm

Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

The Calm Before The Storm

The time at the How was always passing in a blur. It seemed each day was the same. Wake up, eat. Train, eat. Spar, eat. Sleep, repeat.

It was clear from the very beginning that each Pevensie, even little Lucy, showed clear skills in their respected areas. Susan with her bow and arrows, Peter and Edmund with their swords, and Lucy with her daggers and every so often a bow and arrow as well. While each monarch had their skill set, it was also very clear that they were lacking finesse from the lack of a year of training during their time away from Narnia.

Not only were they working to train the Narnian army, or at least what was left of it, but they were also having to improve their own skills. Oreius wasn't the only one to train the Pevensies. In fact, for the most part, Elizabeth was the one who had taught every single one of the Pevensies the art of fighting. They had spent almost a decade training with Oreius, Elizabeth, as well as quite a few Narnian dwarves, fauns, and even giants. This always gave them an advantage no matter the height of their opponent. The only reason Elizabeth was the master was the fact that she had already spent sixty years of training whereas the Pevensies had only trained for fifteen.

The past two weeks and a half were slow and daunting but with hard work, their efforts were soon showing some rewarding results. Arrows were no longer shooting past innocent pedestrians and actually hitting targets thanks to Susan's fine training. Peter and Edmund mostly assisted Glenstorm and Trumpkin with a blade but for the most part, Edmund didn't need much more training aside from just building his muscles back. Instead, Edmund and Lucy were actually spending a lot more time together.

Caspian, well, Caspian was wherever Susan was.

"Nope! Not a scratch!" Trufflehunter called out from behind a bush as he held a Telmarine dummy the archers were aiming at.

"It's all right," Susan called out to encourage the Narnians. "Rome wasn't built in a day," she then muttered more quietly to herself.

"How long did it take?" A minotaur then asked her confused by her reference.

"What's Rome?" A faun then leaned over and whispered to the minotaur utterly confused.

"It's, uh, it's just a phrase," Susan shrugged it off, pushing the matter aside. There was obviously no need to get into that topic. She had only been gone from Narnia for a year and yet she had already quickly forgotten the striking differences between the two worlds. Everything that existed back home was unknown to the Narnians. To them, Earth was a foreign language, an imaginary world.

An arrow then shot past Susan and pierced the Telmarine dummy right where the heart should be. "Whoa!" Trufflehunter screamed, dropping the dummy and cowering behind the bush. "Hey!