IX • Under the Stars

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Under the Stars

Once it had gotten dark, everyone agreed they needed to settle down for the night. There was no point in continuing on with no rest, that would just be foolish. They had found a small little clearing in the woods and after making a fire, they all picked a spot to lay down and rest. But no matter how hard she tired, Elizabeth laid wide awake with her hands behind her head as she was looking up at the brightly lit sky above them with stars spread across the sky lost in thought.

She heard a bit of rustling in the grass beside her but didn't pay any attention to it as she remained lost in thought. Edmund was tossing and turning unable to fall asleep as well. He too was lost in thought and couldn't rest. He turned over and let out a sigh of frustration at his sudden inability to fall asleep. He lay wide awake in the grass and turned to look at Elizabeth laying beside him and noticed that her eyes were open.

"Elizabeth, are you awake?" he whispered to her so not to wake the others.

"Hmm," Elizabeth hummed, indicating that she was awake.

Edmund then turned over onto his stomach as he propped himself up on his elbows and looked at the blonde. "Why did you think I didn't see Aslan?" he asked her truthfully, the question eating him up all night. He knew Elizabeth would know the answer. After all, she was the one closest to Aslan than all of him. He did raise her for sixty years of course.

Elizabeth paused as she didn't look at him and continued to look at the sky. "I don't know," she muttered and Edmund let out a sigh as he hung his head before looking back up at Elizabeth.

"Yes you do Liz," he responded matter of factly.

"Why do you think you didn't see him?" She quickly retorted and Edmund had to grit his teeth to keep from getting angry with her. Why was she being so frustrating to work with right now?

"I don't think I'd be asking if I knew the answer," Edmund finally responded to which Elizabeth went quiet for a moment before she rolled over on her side to face him.

"Maybe it's because you didn't really want to," she suggested very frankly in a softer tone.

Unknown to the two of them, the dwarf also lay awake with his back facing them listening to the two. He too was wondering the same thing as Edmund but didn't really understand Elizabeth's response. What did she mean by because he didn't want to?

"Why do you think he hasn't shown himself since we left? Trumpkin said earlier that Aslan hadn't returned since we went back home," Edmund then asked.

Elizabeth looked at Edmund curiously before answering. "Ed, Aslan may have been gone during the time that the Telmarines took over and didn't come back to help them, but most of the Narnians lost their faith in him. Trumpkin himself is proof of that. They don't believe in him anymore. They believe he is just a rumor, almost like we were to them. He want's us to believe in him and to trust him, it's as simple as that," Elizabeth explained with raised eyebrows to him before rolling back onto her back with one hand behind her head and another on her stomach as she looked back up at the stars.